A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

For those on the fence regarding SATELLITE RADIO: XM vs. Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those on the fence regarding SATELLITE RADIO: XM vs. Sirius

This just announced today:

SIRIUS and NFL Announce Multi-Year Broadcast and Marketing Agreement

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031216/nytu061_1.html

SIRIUS Becomes The Official Satellite Radio Partner of the National Football League; Will Create 'The NFL Radio Network'

The National Football League and SIRIUS Satellite Radio today announced a seven-year agreement for SIRIUS to broadcast all NFL games live nationwide, and for SIRIUS to become the Official Satellite Radio Partner of the National Football League, with exclusive rights to use the NFL "shield" logo and collective NFL team trademarks.

Beginning with the NFL's 2004 season, SIRIUS will carry the entire NFL regular season as well as select pre-season contests and playoff games.

As part of the agreement, SIRIUS will create "The NFL Radio Network," an around-the-clock exclusive stream of NFL content for SIRIUS subscribers. The radio channel will provide news, features, and a wide-range of other programming highlighting the NFL and its teams. The NFL Radio Network will also include programs from The NFL Network television channel, the first television network dedicated to the NFL which launched in November.

SIRIUS will offer all of the NFL programming at no additional cost to its subscribers.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said, "SIRIUS has a strong commitment to sports broadcasting. We look forward to the great new programming that will be available to NFL fans on Sirius. Our partnership with SIRIUS provides all fans nationwide with another way to stay in touch with their favorite teams."

"The NFL is the most powerful name in sports, and SIRIUS is elated to be working with this world-class organization," said Joseph P. Clayton, President and CEO, SIRIUS. "For the first time ever, football fans will have the opportunity to hear radio play-by-play of their favorite NFL team -- called by their favorite local announcers -- no matter where they are in North America. This agreement represents a major enhancement to our superior programming lineup and it underscores our ongoing commitment to enrich the SIRIUS subscriber experience."

Scott Greenstein of The Greenstein Group, an entertainment industry consulting firm that brought SIRIUS and the NFL together, commented, "This is much more than a simple broadcast license. The NFL programming provides SIRIUS with compelling content that is unavailable anywhere else while allowing the teams to connect with their out-of-market fans across the country."

The agreement between the NFL and SIRIUS has been approved by the owners of NFL-member clubs and is subject to customary documentation. Further information regarding SIRIUS' agreement with the NFL is contained in a Current Report on Form 8-K filed by Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.

A complete schedule of games will be available at www.sirius.com and www.nfl.com. SIRIUS radios for the car and home, starting at $149, are available at thousands of retailers nationwide. The monthly subscription fee is $12.95, or less with prepaid subscription plans.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great news! Funny, I think I listen to my Sirius more at work via internet than in my car.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looks like Sirius is also in negotiations to bring service north of the border to Canada

Due to Sirius's orbital positions they should be better setup to bring service to Canada. XM has their two birds in a geosynchronous orbit over the equator which will make it hard cover that far north.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: For those on the fence regarding SATELLITE RADIO: XM vs. Sirius

Cool!! I just had sirius put in my car!! Its so nice not to have to listen to commercials.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt XM is going to sit still and not do anything about this

monthly prices will probably go lower, and they may hook up with NBA perhaps? who knows.

i love satellite radio, XM or Sirius, don't matter...however how many people really drive on sunday to listen to football games? i'd rather watch it on the big screen any day. also, the package will come at a price!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sirius already has a deal with the NBA and NHL.

I agree with you on the TV, but if you happen to be stuck in your car, it will be nice to have access to the games and not have to listen to the crappy sounding AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not sure what you mean by "package will come at a price"...

...I know Sirius said that all sports programming, including the NFL package, come at no cost for subscribers. $12.95/month gets you everything, including NBA and NHL games. As far as which satellite radio service one prefers, that's up to who offers the most channels of what you are into... but as far as sports goes, Sirius now *owns* XM since they have the NFL, NBA, and NHL and XM has *nobody.*

I agree with you about watching it on TV, but there are a lot of transplants who don't have DirecTV, and a lot of married folks who like to listen to the "big game" while they run Sunday errands.

And believe me, if the past is any evidence of the present/future, XM *will* sit still on this. Sirius has added 2 Dance channels and a bunch of Hip-Hop channels back in February, plus signed the NBA, NHL and now NFL in just the past year. The last programming/content change XM made was *18* months ago!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Not sure what you mean by "package will come at a price"...

you have good points but XM still has lots more customers (>1 million) than Sirius. only way Sirius can now compete is by broadcasting more channels and expanding into Canada, but I doubt XM will sit still. time will tell.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default XM has a 1yr head start on Sirius, and had OEM support (GM) a lot sooner than Sirius

You can't just say XM has more customer so they are better.

I'm not saying one service is better than the other. I think satellite radio is awesome in general no matter which provider you pick, but just because XM has more customer doesn't automatically mean they are better. Most people probably don't even know Sirius exists, which is a major fault of service. XM got a huge head start with a one year lead in product release. So when XM came out a lot of people jumped on it right away instead of waiting another year for Sirius. Then GM has had XM in select autos for three model years, and no it's almost in all GM cars. Sirius is just becoming available in new cars as 2004 model year.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

competition is good regardless, too bad sirius didn't come out much sooner

Quick Reply: For those on the fence regarding SATELLITE RADIO: XM vs. Sirius