A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Three Window Regulators in SAME Door!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

No, windows only. Mirrors have their own motors.

What you are describing really aims at the harness. In my case, the window would periodically not work as well as the door speaker (simple power circuit here; no electrical power, no operation). Eventually, I noticed the alarm was not setting becuase the doors were not locking with the fob (fob command goes to CCM and CCM sends command to the door which didn't get there because the wire was broken, so the CCM wouldn't set the alarm). In the middle of me trying to determine why all this was going on, my mirrors "melted", i.e. the heaters shorted on (versus the normal cycle on and off) and the reflective material turned. It all hit me one day that it was the harness with so many issues in the door. When I took the door panel off, I found most of the wires in the harness broken. After replacing the harness, everything worked and has worked since. No CCM in my case.

By the way, there is a DIY to remove the door panel, but can't seem to find it.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I have checked the wires from the door to the vecicle-No problems, have removed the door trim and check all wiring, all looks intack. Have fitted the necessary sockets in place with the door trim hanging free, ie speakers, window switches etc. speakers work fine, passenger window works fine BUT drivers window does not move and mirrors dont tilt. called the dealer again and he saaid to bring in for a dianostic test(€80 here in Ireland, which i feel is reasonable as the frustration is growing), he is convinced it is the door control unit...I am confused as i told him the mirrors were affected also and i thought the unit only works the window...am i driving you guys crazy too!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Let us know. Interesting problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lyleswk,

Problem on the way to been resolved. You were right, found a broken connection in the harness from the door to the car body. It did take the third attempt before discovering the proble. I would suggest to anyone with a similar problem in the future, make sure you pull the harness rightback starting from the car body, pull each wire in turn to see if it pulls out from the other side as initally I looked at the wires and visually they looked intact.

have you any idea waht is the best way to repair the circuit/wires and can the harness be replaced as I had to cut the rubber to access the damaged wires?

In the maentime, many thaks for your invaluable advice as it has taught me a good lesson and saved me alot of euro in these difficult economic times
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I ordered a totally new harness from ECS (see link below). Not sure if they ship to the continent (not sure where you are), but assume you can find a similar supplier. The only problem I had replacing it is that the connector on the car side had deformed slightly I presume from the heat of the short and wouldn't seat properly, so I had to use zip ties to hold the connectors together.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-.../Door_Harness/

Glad to hear you may have found the problem.

Last edited by lyleswk; 04-07-2012 at 04:39 AM.