A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Throttle lag fixed .... at least much better !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't want to rain on your parade, but ....

adaptation channel 001, is an idle speed offset setting, not a throttle pedal position/signal output offset setting. In addition, the reason the idle speed is unchanged with different adaptation values entered, is because the adaptation channels are locked. The specific "apparent" adaptation channel title and setting value labeled as +/- n rev/min, is provided by the Unitronics tweaking software. Despite the apparent changed settings, the implementation of the changed values in locked, and remains at the nominal value of 128, thus the idle speed stays the same as before the apparent value changes. Placebo effect maybe?
Something to consider:, the RS4 has a switched throttle pedal response characteristic, I don't know how that is implemented, but if that could be determined, it's conceptually possible to do the same thing in other Bosch ECUs.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default although idle speed is locked at idle conditions, what does the ecu do with channel 1

when it's not at idle, maybe the channel is changed somehow when it can be unlocked during driving conditions.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Is there any sort of logging we can do through vag-com to see if there is a difference?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to somehow measure throttle position vs pedal position
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Because the channel 001 value offsets the "specified" default value programmed in the firmware, ...

there is no other use of the channel value, so the channel adaptation value is irrelevant for anything other than idle speed setpoint. It does not have any non idle functions/effects.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dunno. ...

Because the ECU uses Torque models in the software, to determine throttle valve angles required to achieve the calculated engine torque needed, there is a disconnect between the pedal sensor value and the throttle position sensor value that exist at any instant. The only way to log those sensors, to see if there is any difference, depending on ch001 value setting, would require that the logs are recorded under identical load conditons. You can try it, but unless the engine torque profile is the same in both logs, and all the other operating conditions the same also, I don't think that anything can be cleary revealed for comparison.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No problem, I welcome the info.

I often think the computer control is a dark art anyway. Without knowing the entire system, changes are a bit of a gamble anyway.
I had originally set out to bump the idle down a bit. The changes in throttle response were a welcome surprise.
I did see noticeable changes between the 3 settings I tried.
I have used the 60 rpm offset now for a week with consistent improvement in the "lag" or delay in pedal and rpms.
Not sure of the why or how, but the results are something I covet since this lag issue sure makes the car not-so-fun to drive.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no dual function/dual mode described in the literature by Bosch...

for adaptation channel values for the ME7x Engine Managment System functional documentation.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree, there is a lot involved here. ...

It's defiantly possible there is some side effect of the channel value setting, but if there is, it's undefined, and would be a logic "glitch" in the firmware with unknown and probably variable effects. But even then, the adaptation value setting is only relevant for the system conditional state as defined in the system operational documents. It could even be a "local" anomaly, unique to your specific controller, although the constant real time cross checks and extensive logic confirmation/fault detection employed by the ECU, should flag any errors that exist.
BTW, on locked ECU firmware versions, adaptation channels can be unlocked by ECU tuners, and or reconfigured by directly accessing the storage registers that contain the adaptation values on the EEPROM in the ECU. I don't understand why the values in later versions was locked, there is legitimate need to trim idle speed +/- occasionally.

(I resent the factory's lockout of the controllers preventing the [otherwise available] access for configuring MY Audi according to MY requirements, including immobilizer access, to have that adjustability denied, is unacceptable.)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have to try this on my now locked ECU, and see if I can feel a difference...

in the throttle response. I concede that the defined function of channel 001 may actually have been changed in later firmware versions, even though that is not described or documented anywhere, AFAIK. (There are undocumented adaptation channels in various ECU firmware versions, with undefined purposes.)

Quick Reply: Throttle lag fixed .... at least much better !!