A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Timing Belt. Audi admits there was a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt. Audi admits there was a problem

I received a letter from Audi Canada telling me that i now have free inspections etc on my timing belt. Essentially it admits they had a problem with the belts.

did anyone else get this?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same here. Basically, it's like a scam as everyone on AW and AZ pointed out...

a TB replacement that occurs as indicated by an inspection of the TB (including the one they will be performing at no charge) will be at your own cost. In other words, Audi admits that factory TB's are defective, but the customers will be paying to have the defective parts replaced.

Next time you go to your dealer for a scheduled maintenance, don't be surprised if you get a call from your service rep, telling you that a TB replacement is necessary and that you'll be on your own if it's not done.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I HAD IT DONE IN JAN...

i had them call me and tell me in Jan that it needs to be done. I was told it was unsafe and so i paid them to do it. NOW IM PISSED as they have admited there was a problem and still want us to cover it. Crooks. thats why they are being sued in the states.

www.timingbeltsettlement.com

i submitted a claim to audi canada. They dont think i will be eligble as it striclty states that replacment is not covered...

so essentially, i would have been better off to not have it inspected and let it blown up.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get it done?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I will give you one guess......

my FAVOURITE dealer.... Q.A
Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default were you still under warranty in January? I'm under the impression that...

if you are still covered by either new vehicle limited warranty or CPO, and your TB needs a replacement, you won't have to pay a penny for the replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, what's ridiculous about this whole TB thing is that the new warranty policy (pending the court's decision, of course) will NOT cover TB replacement required as indicated by an inspection when the original TB is defective in the first place.

Yeah, you would have been better off to tell them to leave your TB alone and run it until it blows. Now, the new extended warranty will require you to have your TB inspected at a more frequent interval and, if necessary, replaced at your own expense.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Didn't I tell you to go to IT for your maintenance needs ;-)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A warning: change your timing belt! $600-$700 is...

...lot cheaper than the money I spent on a new engine... When the timing belt goes, it goes big. The failure took the valve train and eventually the engine. AoA didn't stand behind their product. For the sad story search the A-4 B-6 forum for oil usage.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default According to the lawsuit, 2000, 2001, 2002 and/or 2003 Audi A4....

The (B6) 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 A4 1.8T all use the same timing belt.

Makes me wonder why 2004 & 2005 were left out of the lawsuit...

Also what Audi has, if anything, done to resolve this?

Updated/better/stronger timing belt?

I read Audi has change the change interval from 90,000 to 70,000...

There's been reports of water pumps causing timing belt failures as well...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i know, it sucks...

THey told me i had to pay as it was not "broken" it was going to break. apparently thats a technicality that they escape from.

im really not impressed with the serivce issues. The car drives amazing but i may venture back to Acura or Lexus for my next car at this rate. The car has more issues then better half. she doesnt bitch as much as my car does.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt. Audi admits there was a problem