A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Trouble with rear axle/diff seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with rear axle/diff seal replacement

So, once again, what should be a fairly simple, straightforward job has turned into a PITA. I know there are multiple writeups around on how to change the rear differential seals and I've been following them (fairly simple process). However, I've run into a roadblock...

Car is currently on jack stands with both rear wheels removed. Heat shields are removed. Rear diff fluid is drained... and yes, filler plug was removed first I've also removed all M10 bolts holding both rear axles to the differential. Both rear axles separated without a problem. Unfortuantely, no matter what I do and how I wiggle them, neither axle will compress enough to allow me to move it out of the way. Both inner CV joints seem to be working fine. I can move them up, down, left, right, and in and out. However, neither outer CV joint will move in and out. Is this typical? I'm not sure how the outer joints are constructed. If I grab either axle shaft and pull towards the outside or push towards the inside of the car, there is no movement because the outer CV joints do not move.

If that is not normal, then I supposed that's my problem as to why I can't move the shafts enough to get to the seals. If it IS normal, then I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually remove the drive axles, also have a torch and airtools so it adds like, a few minutes and makes it easier. Heat is a must on the center axle bolt. I remove the one bolt and nut at the top control arm to knuckle, and it swings down enough the remove the axle. If room permits and you dont mind working around them you might be able to just swing the axle out of the way once the control arm is free

Last edited by Prospeeder; 10-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yup. I've given up on trying to move the axles by only removing the end bolted to the differential. Perhaps there are different rear axles that do provide enough room, but mine (3.0 manual) definitely do not. So... taking the axles completely out is my only option. Off to the auto parts store to rent a spring compressor (and I need to order new axle bolts now). :P
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Spring compressor?? For what? Just remove the upper control arm to knuckle bolt and the center axle bolt and pull it out. And I have removed hundreds of axle center bolts and have yet to ever replace one.....same with crank bolts. If it was so important new drive axles would come with them. Like how ones with lock nuts come with a new locknut.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 10-31-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is for the rear axles... if I remove the upper control arm bolt, then I mess up my camber, correct?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cmb6s (NoVA)
This is for the rear axles... if I remove the upper control arm bolt, then I mess up my camber, correct?
No the camber adjustment is at the lower control arm, and yes im aware you are talking about rear axles, I replaced a pair on an 01 A4 a few weeks ago.