A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

um, I discovered drop throttle oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default um, I discovered drop throttle oversteer?

Ok, accelerate pretty hard into your turn, abruptly let off the throttle at the apex or thereabouts. BAM, the tailcomes out. How much depends on how fast, how much lateral force you got going, and whether or not you add any "flick" steering wheel input simultaneously.

Ok, so now the car is in a TV commercial like spin with me as the axis. When you are ready to go forward some more, apply throttle. The four wheels dig in and away you go.

Of course this all happens in about a second and a half, so it's a touchy feely thing.

Damn, these Dunlop SP9090's are some sweet tires.

No real drama, but definitely the most extreme technique yet. I don't think this is a good street trick. Too radical. I'll prolly stick to the boring ol' accelerate through the turn "nice n' smooth", but I think this is the trick/technique mentioned the other day.

There's a high speed sweeper I play with, and going about 70mph through it, I get a very mild drift. Let off the throttle "nice n'smooth" and, plop, the tail sits down.

Bring more force to the game and let off the throttle hard and fast, and the tail scoots out.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice! I will try it as soon as I put my summer tires on (S-03s)...

the winter ones I've got on now break off way too quickly for my liking.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Say again?

How are you getting the tail to come out?!

Describe the first paragraph again including the amount of steering input you are giving...

That sounds like fun!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default go fast into a turn, and then let off the gas pedal half way into the turn.

not sure if the Tip will behave the same way.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:41 AM

Default the difference between this and run-of-the-mill understeer is...

...is that you are basically going too fast for conditions, but rather than let off the gas early and inducing understeer, you stay hot a little longer and let off the gas later.

You will have developed some lateral force at this point, that is what breaks the tail out instead of the usual understeer where you don't have these side forces to play with.

What's messing me up is I can't remember if I used a brake jab to get things going. I don't think I did. Off throttle only. I suppose you could work a little brake in there as well for some occassions.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:44 AM

Default Just about all cars will do that... in terms of sliding...

You enter the corner under accelleration so the car squats and sticks like glue (within reason), then you are suddenly unloading all the weight from the springs/tires so the car rises out if it's stance and floats... as soon as it starts to float it's going to slide. That's just physics at work.

The gas-n-go is where the Quattro comes into place because it takes all 4 tires to grip and securely accelerate the car out of the corner under control.

Seems pretty basic/normal to me... simply offset the balance of the car, and all sorts of things start to happen... especially in corners.

no offense...
Old 02-27-2002, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Really, hmm, must be better weight balance on the '02s...

I have to give a little flick of the wheel to the outside while lifting to get my '00 to do those kind of acrobatics. Then dial in some opposite lock and it gets real cinematic. I love how you can feel all 4 wheels snifing out the best traction. Safer (and more fun IMHO) than RWD antics anyday.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:51 AM

Default none taken, but up to now, it's been all about dealing with understeer...

... this is my first 4wd car. It's been the most fun to learn to drive.

FWD does not want to do this as well, because the two front tires do the pull thing, so recovery from slides is not much fun.

My RWD 944 had no problem obtaining oversteer and dealing with drift, but the A4 has seemed completely different. The understeer can be so pronounced, that up to now, getting any useable oversteer has been difficult.

Making it the most fun though is having 4 drive wheels to catch the car and basically make it do whatever you want as you're recovering. Total hoot.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:11 AM

Aren't the '02s nose heavy? The weight ratio definitely isn't 50/50, just I can't remember...
Old 02-27-2002, 11:13 AM

very nose heavy, plows as bad as my 00 Jetta VR6, and that's not good...

Quick Reply: um, I discovered drop throttle oversteer?