A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Update on my GHL Catback Exhaust installation: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Jo2
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darin45 didn't have any problems because he was the test vehicle.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Or he did not pay attention to it while it was installed as I did...

Maybe he did not look close enough, or GHL felt it was fine as it was. Who knows. I have no reason though to post false information. I tell it like it is. And mine was not perfect. I was there with my tech as he installed it. I saw everything and he brought anything out of the ordinary to my attention. Plus, if darin45's was perfect. Then mine should have been as well, since his was the prototype. So either it was not as good as darin45 said it was. Or they goofed on the production run.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll keep waiting for the Neuspeed to come out in July. Anyone else?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:11 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agree with Rich...send it back.

You're not happy with it, and you don't want to be the guinea pig...go with something that has a known reputation for quality.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Elder Member

Default .

1a) The hole in the tranny connection bracket was not big enough for the OEM bolt/holder piece.

b) The tranny bracket also did not fit correctly to the mounting point; it had to be bent to the side for the bolt. But it was still not perfectly lined up after that.

c) No downpipe gasket supplied. (Not sure if this is such an issue, but it was noted that when the new OEM gasket was fitted to the end of the downpipe; the inner edge of the downpipe connection (--> cat) had a slight radius to it and the gaskets inner edge was not flush with this. Could create turbulence).

My responses:
1a. Thats something they need to work on, that sucks.
1b. The placement of that is different from MY to MY, sometimes its hard to get that correct.

Audi sometimes changes stupid things around, like the floormat plugs in the B5, its hard to make pre-fitted A4 floormatts with the holes, because Audi kept changing them around.

1c. The downpipe gasket is a metal gasket, you can reuse the gasket that came with it, IF you really NEED a new one, they are 15 @ Audi.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:22 PM

hi yld.... had the oettinger exhaust. he liked it but took out the downpipe cause it got too loud
Old 05-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Default The OEM gasket between the cat --> downpipe was actually in pretty bad shape, surprisingly.....

The tech felt it would be wise to replace with a new one and I agreed ($16). It is an aluminum+material sandwich.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default it will be interesting to see...

how this turns out when i get mine on. i talked to GHL and they said the used the exact same specs as they did on darin's car. we know you have no reason to post negative stuff about the exhaust unless it is true... we'll see how mine turns out on friday.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Yes, I could have very well received a "fluke". But the odds of that seem high.

If they have good quality control and tight tolerances, then I cannot see the others from this batch being much different. I could only hope that yours is perfect (although it would make me more irritated).
I could have been more happy with it did not have those problems. I could even keep it, to avoid the inconvenience and spending more money on labor and another exhaust. But the fact is, those details I mentioned add up. GHL needs to address them first and then they will have a more perfect exhaust system.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 PM

You have had alot **** not going your way... huh

Quick Reply: Update on my GHL Catback Exhaust installation: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly