A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

URGENT! Car won't go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT! Car won't go into gear.

2002 B6 3.0Q tiptronic.

Just did my first DIY oil change on the 3.0. Put the car up on some boards, drained the oil, added new and swapped out the filter. Filled it with fresh M1 oil and went to take it off the ramps...but now it won't go into gear. It just sits there and revs pretty freely. If I rev it over like 3000rpm it starts to chug forward a bit, but thats it.

Is there a reset that I need to do or something? I did not engage the tow sensor disabler on the door, maybe its that?

I thought it might be low on tranny fluid, but I can't even find a dipstick for it, let alone a filler.

The only other thing is it was at the dealer Thursday for a P0118 code, they replaced the temp sensor under warranty and the MIL went off...Friday night it came back on and its now showing a P0025, which as the B CAM POS SENSOR. I cleared the code, but it still doesn't want to move.

Screwed tranny or electronic reset? Any other suggestions? Its the wife's daily driver so I have to get it operation soon.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You drained the transmission fluid by mistake. ....

The engine must be overfilled. Where is the oil level on the engine dip stick?
In order to refill the transmission, a larger, 17mm plug up inside a well in the trans oil pan is removed, then fluid is pumped into the transmission pan using a bottle pump until the fluid overflows from the fill port where the 17mm plug was removed from. Then, the engine is started in PARK, and additional fluid is pumped into the trans until it drips overflow with the engine running, BEFORE the fluid temp exceeds ~45 C, REPLACE the fill plug in the pan, BEFORE shutting off the engine. The trans will require ~3 or 4 liters of OEM ATF from the dealership.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You drained the transmission fluid by mistake. ....

Damn...well at least its repairable.

So where is the oil drain plug then? It must be seriously overfilled since I added the full 6.3 quarts.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Will standard ATF do so I can drive for a proper flush and fill?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supposedly no, but i donno why. so OE ATF only

until someone proves otherwise
Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The ZF/Audi requirement for approved ATF is not optional. ...

In an emergency you could use Dextron III> but then you would have to have the entire system drained and flushed, then refilled with approved ATF about 12 liters @ ~$20+/liter. If you refill with OE fluid, then all you would need to do is adjust the fluid level as needed. That will use ~4 liters. There is an alternative to OE fluid, Pentosin ATF-1, a full synthetic ZF approved ATF. With the pan drained, it would be preferred to replace the trans fluid filter before refilling, but it's not essential now. Pentosin ATF-1 is available at many Euro auto parts stores. Otherwise, any Audi or VW dealership will have the specific OE ATF fluid required. Use of the VAG-COM is required to monitor the trans fluid temp while filling, the fluid must be above 35 C and less than 45 C when the fluid is dripping overflow, with the engine idling in Park. The fill plug must be reinstalled before the trans fluid exceeds 45 C, and before shutting the engine off. The car MUST Be LEVEL while off the ground for the refill to be correct. A hook shaped metal tube about 1/4" ID and some clear hose to connect the bottle pump to the hooked metal fill nozzle is needed to pump fluid into the transmission, and, a 17 mm hex wrench to remove and replace the fill port plug is also required. Finally, the plug must be retightened using a torque wrench.
I recommend you have the car flat bedded to the dealer, or an independent Audi shop and have this done by an experienced tech. They can adjust the engine oil level also.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Advice taken...

Too many specialized tools to acquire and by the time I get it all done my wife could already have been driving it.

Thanks diagnosticator1.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good decision, all things considered,. .
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, wife is not happy, but...

this is very definitely one of those things you only ever do once in your lifetime.

Dealer says this happens with surprising frequency, but they never see the same car twice for it.

Still po'd at myself for this...just a really stupid mistake.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, I've been there too, ....

One definition of an expert is "someone who has made almost all of the mistakes already."

As frustrating and obvious as it is in hindsight, you can be absolved by how often this happens to others.

Quick Reply: URGENT! Car won't go into gear.