A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

VW A4 Engine swap?? I need an engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW A4 Engine swap?? I need an engine!!!

Hi all,
My 1999 1.8T Q A4 engine is hosed, cam seized, cam shaft broke, valves are hosed, timing belt broke, etc etc. I can possibly get a cheap 2003 GLS engine 1.8T with its wires, ecu, turbo etc w/ 8k miles on it but want to know if this is an engine that will even work in my A4??? I am having a hard time finding a decent rebuilt/used and can't rebuild myself and the shop wants to charge a bundle to do anything like that...
Does anyone know what engines are interchangeable? If trannies will line up? If I have to swap the gauges too? Time is of the essence and your help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
williambq
Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 AM

Default I could be wrong but the Jetta engines are 90 degrees different than our cars......

you would need to look into a passat 1.8T engine. One is transverse and one isn't.

Sorry for damage done to your engine. My '99 passat with only 66k threw a timing belt/chain and all the same things happened to me. All covered under warranty though.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The motor is for most part, exactly the same, but may be set up differently due to the configur...

due to the configuration, as in I dont know if the water pump, power steering, etc. are all mounted the same way. But as far as the motor itself, and considering what you may be able to salvage from the rest of your engine, you can probably make this work. But I would aggree that a pasast engine or audi engine would work a lot better. I mean, why dont you just drop in a diesel motor or a 2.7t. That would kick ***.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it wasn't oil sludge/pump related was it? Audi might still cover it.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GLS...Passat? Go for it.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: it wasn't oil sludge/pump related was it? Audi might still cover it.

No, it was leaking oil for a while and my wife was driving it a little too long with out checking the oil level. She called while I was out of town and said it just went thud thud and died. I askeds if she checked the oil... long silence... 'No.' she said a little later. It was almost 3qts low.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: VW A4 Engine swap?? I need an engine!!! UPDATE:

Update: My autoshop found an engine, reman'd, for $3200. They got it in 2 days no less from the Audi dealer! Der Otto Werks is my shop. How can you go wrong with a name like that, right?
Anyway, they want me to come in tomorrow to look at a few other parts. They are thinking the turbo and waterpump aren't in too great of shape either. Yeah. So far, $4500 for egine swap + labour (abt 16hrs at $70/hr)... Turbo? H20 pump? I am thinking I should upgrade the Turbo since it's all apart and I probably need a new one... Any suggestions? K03 is stock or like the stock, right? K04 is supposed to be what a lot of people upgrade to? Any suggestions on what and where and how much I should be expecting to pay for a turbo? TIA,
-williambq
Old 09-30-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: GLS...Passat? Go for it.

Yes, I got ahold of the guy selling the Jetta engine. They are transverse. Engine code AWP. It 'probably' would lign up okay though... However (see my UPDATE) we found a reman for pretty good price at the Audi dealer...
Old 10-06-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Swapped out everything + Neuspeed K04 kit with Pchip

Well Well Well. The saga continues:
Here is the cost of fixing the oil leak so far!!
Reman'd Dealer engine: $3280
Labour (so far): $1200
Neuspeed K04 Kit: $1700 even w/ S&H
H20 & Oil Pump: ???
Gaskets, tubes, belts, fluids, rings, clamps, etc etc etc: ???
I am normally picking up tomorrow. We will see what the horrible terrible total is for fixing an oil leak!!! On the good side???
I should have about 220+ HP vs. the 150 HP that I used to have... But to really achieve that, I will probably need to get a back-cat and then a decent intake.
-w
Old 11-05-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Full engine replacement update A4 1.8T Neuspeed K04

Final cost $7750. Ouch.
However, even though it is an AutoTip and still has a minor turbo lag, you definitely have a LOT more power. Some 0-60 testing brings her in at close to 7 seconds. A far bit better than the stock 9 seconds. So from what I have read, I probably have around 220-230hp now. It does feel about like that ballpark compared with my friends' BMW328s which has stock 220hp and comparing with an automatic Volvo I5 Turbo with 270hp. Even if you have 220-230hp, being able to use it effectively is another matter...My BMW friend and I had some fun 0-100 races (A4 vs 328s) and he pretty much spanked even trying it with a rolling start. Too much turbo lag. The A4 does keep pace (from about 40ft behind) from about 30-60mph (i.e., for about 1.5 seconds) but then the 328s begins to pull away again. The autotrans is definitely a limiting factor as you can feel how 'slow' it shifts, even with tip, between gears, probably to make it feel smooth to the normal drive. I would be curious to get it dyno'ed or really measured somehow, but for now, I am happy.
I did geta VAG-TOOl from Ross-Tech so I can probably calculate some things like torque and newton-pounds and eventually figure out the horsepower.

Bottom line:
So, if you all ever want an upgraded turbo, the K04 from Neuspeed is pretty good bang for the buck. The other kits out there really start to impact the budget. If you break it down, the price starts to double while the increase in horse per dollar rate drops by over half. My experience is get it from GreedSpeed.com, not diretly from Neuspeed. I got mine from Neuspeed because of time contraints and was able to use the shop license where my car was at to get a pretty good deal but the GreedSpeed shelf price is still better by about $50.00. Also Neuspeed's shipping is a lot more than what shipping actually costs... hum.... Tony at GreedSpeed did get a hold of me later but only after I had to make a decision and had already ordered the Turbo Kit from Neuspeed. $1700 + $80 shipping + shipping the chip back and forth (cost me $15 (UPS Blue label) to ship, $25 (Neuspeed's price) to get back for the same rate... hum...)

Also, if you have the time factor on your side, you can piece this all out and save about $500. Get a K04 from someplace else and you can start to approach $600-700 dollars (look on ebay). Then if you piece out the P-chip 1 bar upgrade, the Fuel pressure regulator, the spark plugs, the theromostat, you end up at about $1100... quite a bit less and I wish I could have done that of course, but it would have takeng approximately 4 weeks to do that.