A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

VW's Big Gamble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: yes it does, just hasn't been proven in the US

Just look at the numbers and you'll see. It does not necessarily mean that is should make sense. We are talking about marketing and sales here, Pepsi tastes better than Coke, or Mac is better than Windows... but look at sales numbers and you see a big difference.

I bet none of us would have paid what we did for A4, if it was badged as VW.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:34 PM

Default This all so bloody stupid, I can't believe it's real!!

This stupid strategy of VW vs. Mercedes Benz, while Audi takes on BMW. It's friggin' ridiculous!

Who is Mercedes Benz current competition?
- Um...Audi and BMW to name two

Who is BMW's current competition?
- Um...Audi and Mercedes again!

Keep VW out of it. The American public isn't that stupid. Seeing this mish-mash of cars from what we all know is the same company, priced all over the place, doesn't inspire much confidence.

Cannibals start your engines! Audi...make ready your armies...it's brother vs. brother.

Just say no. Let Audi take on the big boys and let VW continue to grow in it's current market segment.

Phaeton my ***:
"VW plans to sell upwards of 40,000 Phaetons annually..."

HA...must be planning to sell them at 70% off MSRP.

Drop this Phaeton nonsense. Shoot whoever came up with the name "Touraeg" and tune that W8 engine for an affordable Audi application.

I think Piech has lost his grip on reality! I'm a wizard, so I'm allowed to say that.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:35 PM
DCS

Default Re: Perhaps strictly from a sales point of view? ** and from a product line

Audi's product offering is a little thin compared to M-B, BMW and even Lexus. Not as sorry as Saab's 2 model line up but thin.

I don't know the details of 4-matic but I'm sure I'm in the majority. Audi will have to show how Quattro is better b/c when M-B offers it all around, the general public wont care if it's Quattro, 4matic or BMW xi. They'd better start now before it's too late.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: This all so bloody stupid, I can't believe it's real!!

Just imagine a VW dealer... Golf 15K, Jetta 16K, Passat 20K, and then Phaeton 60K!!!

Just doesn't make sense. Look at a BMW, Lexus or MB dealership and see the difference in terms of the design to a VW or Honda (same segment as VW).
Old 05-08-2002, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Perhaps strictly from a sales point of view? ** and from a product line

VW's build quality compared to Audi is night and day. I had a 01 GTI GLX and traded it on after only a year of ownership. I had too many problems with that car. It also handled like crap. Sure I got a lot for the money but in the end it wasn't worth it. The A4 feels much more upscale compared to my GTI. I don't understand why VW is coming out with all these expensive cars. I would rather have a used S4 or a 02 A4 3.0 over a W8 any day. The Torag looks cool but is there really a market for the Phaeton in the US? Maybe someone crazy who is willing to take a chance and wants something different will buy the Phaeton. Forget it, they just have to be crazy.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM

Default It gets even more ridiculous when you think about it...

Has VW prepared their dealerships (both the sales and service sides) to handle the new expectations that come along with selling cars above $40,000?

Will the service departments offer automatic rentals for cars brought in for service so that someone bringing in a Jetta gets equal treatment as someone bringing in a Phaeton? Or will the Phaeton owners be special and get their own waiting rooms and such, separated from the "other" folk?

It just gets weirder and weirder when you think about it. I can't think of a lot where you can buy a brand new car for $15k sitting next to one that costs $60k. The demographics between the buyers of the two cars are really far apart.

Personally, I think VW should focus on (at least in N.A.) competing with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. and leave BMW and MB to Audi. The Audi line already has a head start in building a brand identifiable with sport and luxury. Why not just build on that and make it better by offering cars that are superior to BMW and MB? Muddying the waters with VW's foray into the high end has the potential to confuse customers and can possibly lead to inefficient use of internal resources.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's what the 40k W8 Passat is for

then then 40-60k Toureg, then you got your 60k Phaeton. sorry about the spelling:-)