A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Warranty Denied

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem is that his car is now probably tagged in the system...

He could go to another dealer, but when they pull up the info on his car (using the VIN number), they'll see the warranty denied entry by the dealer and by AoA.

The only way I could possibly see an aftermarket exhaust affect a catalytic converter would be that the diameter of the exhaust pipe and the force of the exhaust would be causing backpressure which could cause exhaust particle to actually travel back into the catalytic converter after already leaving it. It's a fairly weak possibility, but it's probably what's being used as the basis for the warranty denial.

On a different point of view, you've already experienced a catalytic converter failure with the OEM exhaust. I'm sure there are others who have also had their catalytic converters fail with the OEM exhaust... enough to show a trend that the catalytic converter may be prone to damage regardless of any cat-back exhaust.

I know that I've had 3 catalytic converter failures in 80,000 miles. Since my exhaust was still OEM, it was covered by warranty. The first cat failed a few months before my first ignition coil failure. When it happened, AoA originally did not want to honor the warranty. Their veiw at the time was that catalytic converts simply don't fail. Fortunately, the service crew at my dealer fought for me and proved to them that it needed replacement.

I don't know about you, but it looks like the design of the catalytic converter may be too sensitive causing it to either fail completely or gradually loose it's effeciency range in cleaning the exhaust gasses.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How much is that cat anyways?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Send a letter stating in clear language the law and the SEMA counsel's interpretation to the owner.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 PM

~$1,100
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default something sorta similar happened to a former co-worker of mine. Here's how he ended up beating them

He purchased a Chevrolet pickup truck used from a local Chevy dealer. The truck had very low miles and was still under factory warranty. After about a year, the paint on the truck started to peel off in one area. He took it to the dealer and for some reason they gave him a runaround and said that it wasn't covered under warranty. (sorry I don't recall the reasons they gave... this was many years ago). So to make a long story short, this guy went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of those stick-on vinyl letters and put messages ALL OVER his truck saying "JOHN DOE CHEVY SUCKS! THEIR SERVICE DEPARTMENT IS INCOMPETENT, THEIR SALES PEOPLE LIE TO YOU, THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, THEY DO NOT HONOR WARRANTIES, THEY ARE OUT TO SCREW THEIR CUSTOMERS OUT OF THEIR HAD EARNED MONEY...." etc etc...

And he parked his truck on the street in front of the dealership (it was only a couple blocks from where we worked), and left it there every day... all day long, so all prospective customers would see it. He did this for about a week and finally the dealer caved in and honored the warranty.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't think you should give up. I think your case really would be a marker in history.

It is obvious that they owe you a new cat. I still swear by Audi, but it would be good for you and everyone if you went to the end on this. with what seems like a 100% chance, it would be something that every enthusiast could use as a reference when situations like this arise for whatever reason. My biggest complaint is when dealers deny coverage on parts that are damaged, blaming a non OEM aftermarket part that isn't related to the damage. I'd hate to see them get away with this. Make it public, finish it up man. Believe me, we would all appreciate your efforts. But definitely the length you have gone already is appreciated with all of your research. Even after your Audi, on your next car, you could face the same situation. It's not just Audi.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Had similar problem envolving intake...

well one of my lines coming off of the turbo inlet hose mysteriously broke off and i wasnt boosting at all so i took the car in and told them to look at it and showed em' where it was and everything then they said "oh...nice aftermarket intake"...we cant fix this for you it will not be covered....after about 6 phone calls i convinved the guy there was no way in hell my line was broken by my intake...(i honestly think it was strained during install but shhhhh. they dont knwo that haha) i convinced them to fix it no ?s asked.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default That is crap, theres no way an aftermarket exhaust would damage the cat.

AoA's warranty is totally discretionary and a lot of us A6 guys run into the same bs. Unfortunately you're not the only one who has experienced this...AoA is pretty strong about denying their claims.

There was a case where the fuel sending unit went bad on early A6 models. The guage would read "full" all the way up until the car ran out of gas, whereby it would suddenly drop to "empty." Numerous complaints were submitted, but Audi just sat on them. Finally a class action law suit was filed by a law firm involving many participants in the East Coast area. Just about that time Audi openly admitted to being aware of the problem and that they had already been investigating it. A recall was issued not long after.

Since then about four other recall's have been issued, long after additional complaints were filed. The A6's had a problem with unintended and uncontrolled acceleration - a problem that was reported during the models introduction (1998 C5 platform). A recall was just issued about two months ago!

If you want to set an example, you can take it to court. I think Audi may be liable for your expenses if you win. Perhaps you could file for additional restitution for your troubles and set Audi straight. =) Of course the stationary car advertisement might work as well!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Strength in numbers

I wonder if dealers ever consider that these message boards reach thousands of Audi owners and all that has to happen is for the dealership name to be revealed and that service department can kiss goodbye to alot of customers. As Audi owners I don't understand why we aren't more willing to assert our rights as consumers. Especially when we're in the right. Your experience at this dealership, that thus far remains un named, is enough to convince me that I would likely not take my car there and would likely convince the perhaps hundreds of others on this message board not to as well.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You've done you're part...SEEK REPRESTATION and get it off your plate...The Attn's fee...

can/will be built into your lawsuit...The Attn. will help you determine your legal outlets.

The time you've already invested and all you're research needs to be driven home w/some legal knowledge and representation.

This w/o a doubt, this is what I would DO.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied