A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Warranty issues - 4 visits and still not right. Who can I call?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty issues - 4 visits and still not right. Who can I call?

We bought a certified 2003 A4 back in March from a local dealer. After about 2 weeks it became obvious that there was a problem with a very musty smell coming from the A/C each time the car was started. It's been back to the dealer four times and they still have not been able to fix the problem.

On the third visit they even showed me a service bulletin from early 2005 detailing the issue and a proposed fix and acknowledged that it's a known problem. They performed the fix recommended in the bulletin, but it didn't seem to do any good. After the last visit their answer was along the lines of "We know it's a problem but we just can't fix it. I'm afraid you're stuck with it."

This is an unacceptable response. I know from dealing with other car companies that you can usually call a regional rep. to escalate the issue, but I'm not sure who that person is for Audi. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? We're in northern NJ if that helps.

Thanks, J.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default my car always has a funky smell the first few seconds when the a/c goes on

nothing the dealer has done could fix that... i guess i got used to it... it does go away after a few seconds anyway
Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, it never bothered me that much...
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 AM

Default buy a can or two of OZIUM from pep boys

There's spray it on the input ports (one by your right drivers foot) and one on dash (where the air isn't blowing). while a/c is running. not too much of this stuff.

then maybe take the outside air filter out, replace it, and spray some in b4 you replace it.

the ish annihilated cigarette smoke which is probably even harder than your mold.

ozium is basically a not bad smelling lysol.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Buy a can of FridgiFresh, use as directed. .....

This is the only thing I found to work. I'm amazed that car makers don't have an access port to the evaporator from the passenger footwell to spray in fungacide to eliminate the problem. I know of owners who have fished tygon tubing up the evaporator water drain and sprayed the evaporator in a more efficient manner. The smell goes away in the winter time in snow country.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Thanks for all the suggestions, but..

Shouldn't this be the responsibility of the dealer to fix?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default they were being nice, Personally i think it's normal, Lots of cars have a funk smell initially

my moms BMW did.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default i heard it occurs from...

leaving your air on recirculate... when you do a flap is closed so the air doesn't escape (ie it re-cools the cool air already) well when you leave it on recirculate and turn off the car if the flap does't open and water drips in, you can get mold.

frankly id assume the car would be designed to open this flap... im not sure if this is true or not, thats what i heard a while back and it made sense to me... but its already too late to do anything about it
Old 07-11-2005, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default well yeah, the filter can get moldy, but I think thats a different smell.

Because I get the smell even after fresh filters for the initial turn on of the A/C, and it goes away in a few seconds
Old 07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yeah thats the smell i have

it goes away a few seconds later, nothing permanent

Quick Reply: Warranty issues - 4 visits and still not right. Who can I call?