A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

wasn't coilpacks... was RATS chewing on fuel lines! Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wasn't coilpacks... was RATS chewing on fuel lines! Need advice...

I posted a few days ago about suffering from a probable coilpack failure. Started car up in the morning to go to work, engine was half running, about to stall, check engine light flashing, etc. Well, dealer called me back to tell me the news that rats had chewed on fuel injection lines leading to the engine! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Of course this isn't covered under warranty and the bill so far (they are still waiting for parts) is around $180. I park my car overnight in my apartment building's parking structure, next to an overflowing dumpster with trash usually spilling onto the floor. I am sure this is where the rats originally came from, and sought out refuge in my warm engine bay after munching on trash. I mean there is no other way this could have happened anywhere else being that the car ran perfectly fine driving in that night, and the problem started the next morning. Do you guys think the apartment owners are going to deny it happened and give me a hard time? The dealer said he'd give me the chewed parts so I can use them as proof. I don't want a battle coming on... but I am not paying for something I did not cause. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry to hear that dude. rodents sucks..

especially when they fvck around with our cars. your neighbor or apartment manager should call pestcontrol. or who ever is responsible for the trash. rats multiply very quick!
Old 11-26-2004, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You would probably have a better case if the dumpster is always overflowing

if the dumpster is usually emptied on a regular basis, then you may not have a leg to stand on. But if it is always overflowing, sure I would take that up with management.

At least the rats died from ingesting the fuel...or one would hope they died anyway. I hope they're not stuck in your engine bay.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hijack: Holy smokes jim...just saw your post on MA

that really sucks what happened to your car man...keep us posted
Old 11-26-2004, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, and will do.

At least I'm not alone. Seems most people hear a humming noise then their fuel pump dies. The rest that I've read about have it just go out like that, and most of them are right at 42K miles...strange.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default that is strange...

just noticed too that the post was only a couple of threads down...damned coffee not kicking in fast enough ;-D
Old 11-26-2004, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

haha
Old 11-26-2004, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless your lease states that he has a responsibility to keep the dumpster in a sanitary state (m)

by always emptying it in a timely fashion, I'm not sure how much of a case you'd have. Yes, it is probably his fault, but you may not have much legal recourse. Check out your lease, or maybe your state's Tenant Bill of Rights (or equivalent).
Old 11-26-2004, 08:16 AM

No they BITE..lol
Old 11-26-2004, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, thanks for the concern... I'll keep ya'll posted.

Quick Reply: wasn't coilpacks... was RATS chewing on fuel lines! Need advice...