A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Weak key signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak key signal

I drive a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. I've been struggling with a starting issue for months now. The thing is my car will start just fine for a while and then all of the sudden it goes through a phase of never starting on the first attempt. Lately it takes at least two attempts to start. I've been avoiding the dealer like the plague because last time I was there, I spent a fortune for basically nothing. The local shop, which I trust, can't seem to diagnose the issue...they recommended going back to the dealer. My error codes are:
18062/P1654- Check DTC memory of instrument cluster: No signal/ communication- intermittent
17978/P1570- Engine start blocked by immobilizer, signal implausible- intermittent
18017/P1609- Crash shutdown activated- upper limit exceeded, present
Cluster ECU codes 01039- Coolant Temperature senson (G2) open or short to ground- intermittent
01176- Key signal too low- intermittent, present.
Central electronics ECU code 00474- Control module for immobilizer, no cummunication, present

For diagnostic purposes, codes were cleared, then the various ECU's were rechecked. Code 01176 recurred; code 00474 would not clear and then self-cleared.

Also, once in a while after starting, the emergency flashers will go on and won't turn off until I restart the car. I've tried "cold booting" the car and that seamed to work for about 1/2 a day. I have two keys and both do this. One key won't operate as a remote. I recently put new batteries in both keys, but that didn't solve the problems.

Another post on this site recommended a new ignition switch for a very similar problem. I'm curious to see if anyone has solved this problem with an ignition switch, and if there are any diagrams available for this procedure.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 01-02-2023, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFE mode disables engine start

Originally Posted by osospdb
I drive a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. I've been struggling with a starting issue for months now. The thing is my car will start just fine for a while and then all of the sudden it goes through a phase of never starting on the first attempt. Lately it takes at least two attempts to start. I've been avoiding the dealer like the plague because last time I was there, I spent a fortune for basically nothing. The local shop, which I trust, can't seem to diagnose the issue...they recommended going back to the dealer. My error codes are:
18062/P1654- Check DTC memory of instrument cluster: No signal/ communication- intermittent
17978/P1570- Engine start blocked by immobilizer, signal implausible- intermittent
18017/P1609- Crash shutdown activated- upper limit exceeded, present
Cluster ECU codes 01039- Coolant Temperature senson (G2) open or short to ground- intermittent
01176- Key signal too low- intermittent, present.
Central electronics ECU code 00474- Control module for immobilizer, no cummunication, present

For diagnostic purposes, codes were cleared, then the various ECU's were rechecked. Code 01176 recurred; code 00474 would not clear and then self-cleared.

Also, once in a while after starting, the emergency flashers will go on and won't turn off until I restart the car. I've tried "cold booting" the car and that seamed to work for about 1/2 a day. I have two keys and both do this. One key won't operate as a remote. I recently put new batteries in both keys, but that didn't solve the problems.

Another post on this site recommended a new ignition switch for a very similar problem. I'm curious to see if anyone has solved this problem with an ignition switch, and if there are any diagrams available for this procedure.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Amazing there is no posted solution for this Error Code in more than a Decade... Same thing happens to me. Seems to occur if i do not drive the car every day. It sits one day, SAFE mode appears. Can't start it for days, then 'surprise' it starts like nothing happened.