A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What are the best bulbs to use for blue neon headlight conversion? And can they replace the fog"s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the best bulbs to use for blue neon headlight conversion? And can they replace the fog"s?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think you need to figure out what you want here.... do you mean "xenon" ... sure you don't mean

"neon" ?

You don't want those blue halogen bulbs because you end up with whiter light but no light output.

I say do it right or don't touch it at all.

doing it right has 2 solutions.

1 - Best - Buy a full set of xenon / hid headlights that are oem

2 - Compromise - Buy an HID conversion kit

... now as for your fogs if you're in an area where fog isn't an issue you can go with those blueish/white bulbs here to save money, but your best match again is going to be HID/xenon conversion kit for the fog lights.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd Opinion on Fogs: If you want improved visibility in adverse conditions, think Yellow.

In my experience, yellow foglamps do a better job "light up" road reflectors and improving visibility during fog (this from someone who grew up in San Francisco, where we get PLENTY of fog).

As you can see from my sig below, I replaced the OEM bulbs in my foglights to yellow, and am enjoying better visibility in fog and rain. (Turns out it can get misty in San Diego, too.)

But then it becomes a question of aethetics vs. function, or also, what works best for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yes absolutely.... its form vs. function with respect to fogs...

well sort of anyway...some people prefer how yellow fogs look anyway
Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a great mod.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default "the research" sez yellows are no better than other colors..

and in fact, since yellow lights usually just have a filter to filter everything but yellow out of the white light wattage, there is less light output in the yellows.

also, the idea that longer light wavelengths (like yellow) penetrate fog more deeply because they are dispersed less than shorter wavelenghts (like blue) apparantly doesn't hold true when the things doing the dispersing (like fog droplets) are so much larger than the light wavelengths themselves.

now, i don't know who is doing this research, but i find it all over the palce, so apparantly the science around the yellow fogs is maybe flawed. then again, science also says people see greens and yellows better than other colors, so your real world experience maybe has scientific backing after all.

so, a long way to go to essentially just come back to form (like blue) vs function (like yellow/white), but i thought it was interesting.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting! I'd never read any of the research, mine was just "seat of the pants" experience.