A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What Broken door wiring harness is this? Lower front Bose speaker not working below

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:41 AM
tuc
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Broken door wiring harness is this? Lower front Bose speaker not working below

What Broken door wiring harness is this? Lower front Bose speaker not working below 13? How are they connected?

I’m helping my son figure out why his driver’s side lower speaker is not work on his 02 B6 1.8t he just purchased. We hear just static in the speaker until the Bose Concert System is turned up to 13 and it starts working. Here’s what interesting: I know there is a technical bulletin out on this where you have to clean the wiring harness where it connects from the door to the body. I’ve done this with no positive results. (I’ve successfully done this on my 03 Avant). There is a broken green/black wire in the door harness, is this the speaker wire? I’ve looked at the Bentley, but it’s wiring diagram is for 04 and up and says the speaker wire is a different color. Is this a broken speaker wire, and if so then why does it start to work when turned up to 13? I’m not an EE, so I’m sure there is some sort of explanation for this. Pictures are below and thanks for the help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF...it?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF...it?usp=sharing

TSB #05-13

Condition: Sound from door speakers in one door intermittently stops operating. This condition may occur while driving (especially on rough road) or in cold weather when opening/closing the doors. This condition may be corrected by increasing radio volume. May be caused by intermittent electrical contact of door speaker wiring harness terminals due to grease in the electrical connector at A-pillar.

Solution: Disconnect door electrical connector. Clean door connector using one of the following methods:
- Wipe away grease with towel
- Remove grease using suitable solvent
- Blow out connector with air pressure
- Connect door connector and assure proper wiring and harness end connection

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I will share my situation. I had a similar issue on my old 02, i.e. if you turned the sound up enough, the speaker (actually both the bottom speaker and the one in the door up high) would work. Otherwise it would buzz. I ultimately believe it was a short and when you turned up the radio, the signal got strong enough to "over power" the short, but must confess that I have difficulty understanding lectrical problems. Anyway, I ultimately replaced the entire harness as most repairs seem to only last for a while. What drove me to replace the harness was a "melted" the coating on the mirror (I had the cold weather package where the mirror defrost was supposed to go on and off intermittently and mine shorted on), my door locks stopped working as well as the alarm. After replacing the harness which had several broken wires, everything worked fine.