A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What else do you need to complement a K04 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw the cat. just get rid of it. =)

EuroCode had a test pipe (or race section, whatever ya want to call it) at NorCal vs SoCal. It disappeared before the end of the show. somebody out there has to be one happy cat free camper right now.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Just have to consider emissions though (smog testing).

Most people don't want to be bothered with having to switch back to the OEM Cat for inspection/emissions testing,.. etc..

So someone walked off with a test pipe for an A4 B6? What a lowlife.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:19 AM

Default I was waiting for you to respond...

Agreed. The FMIC consistently shows more favorable performance results; from chipped only, to bigger turbos - intake temps are lower and pressure is better from what I have heard/read (including testing of both set ups from DLSJ5). Looks aside, it is just the more logically designed/engineered IC set up.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks. Greedspeed has what I was looking for..

Looks like the dual Side Mount option is going to be similar in cost to the FMIC. Still leaning toward the dial SMIC if I go K04 turbo.

Thanks again.. Scott02
Old 04-17-2004, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's because 90% of tuners CAN'T sell the dual SMIC so you get a bandaid FMIC. :)

Seriously, I saw one FMIC at the show that was 2/3's blocked by the front bumper. Yeah, that's effective. Anything between the bumper and the radiator is only effective at blocking the air the radiator was designed to get. Not only is the IC not going to do what it's claimed to do, the car is going to get hotter as well. The only thing an FMIC is good for on a street car is bling (now where's that link to the silver front teeth bridge...)

Now I've been behind the IC's and there's enough room on the right side to put in a water reservoir to mist the IC's and still not block the air flow. You look towards the wheel and you can see a big section of naked wheel liner just begging to be opened up (with louvers - not holes drilled). The left side is not as blocked in as people are whining about either.

The whole FMIC thing is just people slapping something in because they can't sell the good parts (yeah, I'd like the RS4 IC's, too), it's easy, and they don't have to invest in any complicated, expensive research. The dual SMIC's are more than looks - it's professional engineering that takes EVERYTHING into account.

OK, so there is this one FMIC that rises above the bumper. It keeps the dead space there free so the radiator gets full air flow wrapping around the back of the bumper. The bottom of the radiator still gets full cooling before the coolant is pulled back into the engine. The bumper doesn't need to be modified and the IC, if painted, blends nicely without the SBPD bling alert that some people love so much. It actually looks like an ENGINEER WHO KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING had some input into the design.

OK, yes the base engine is slow. But 1) it's the best of both worlds in fuel economy and power when needed. With China and India both importing a LOT more petroleum than before, and their demands growing every year beyond previous expectations, we're all going to be happier with the 1.8T than dragging around a bunch of extra cylinders we don't use all that often. 2) We both know ;} there's more to that equation. Turbo (and IC mods can vastly improve the power reserves of the engine. The 1.8 liter engine started as the maximum size that qualified for European tax breaks (for fuel efficiency) but it's gone way beyond that. It's not too slow - it's just undertuned.

The duals are not just for bi-(not that there's anything wrong with that)-turbos. They add to the total facing square inche cross section available to be cooled. Someone recently did the measurements and found the duals have more square inches than most FMIC's. Once the wheel liners get opened up the boost in air flow, without a hot radiator blocking the path, puts the dual SMICs way beyond the FMIC.

I will pray for you.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, some SBPD type will open the hood and say, "This must be my lucky day."

Massive fine if caught without the CAT and possible impounding of the vehicle. Once the red flag gets raised for that violation everything is going to be checked. All other mods will have to be removed and the car restored to stock. This can all get pretty expensive. The little weasel will get what they deserve.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:53 AM

Default some dude bought it apparently... didnt steal it. and as far as smog goes (m)

If you drive a Quattro, you should be able to get away with not having a cat. No smog testing place i know has an all wheel drive dyno. If you have an O2 sensor simulator, you'll pass the 3 step test.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Oh. The way you put it, sounded like someone walked off with it....literally

With smog test in CA, I've never had to dyno the car. Just the typical test machine hook up, stick the sensor in you exhaust pipe. It's been years though since I had to have one done ('85 car). 4 years so far with my '00 VW 1.8t and I don't think I've had to have a test yet. Guess things have changed with newer model cars.

Still, I'm just not positive that a test pipe would pass CA emissions. Is there actual proof that it will? Very curious to know. Obviously if the cat was inspected, that's another story.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Proof is in the numbers...

Do a search in the TT forums. You'll find the TT225 boys did specific and more accurate tests showing the OCT FMIC to be more efficient then these particular OEM Duals, and the TT's are setup much better than we are! TTSchwing is his name. If you want to meet up one day we can Vag our cars intake temps, then you'll see the light. : ) You can argue about what Audi did tested etc, but I think you'll find almost everyone on this forum changes just about every stock thing Audi did, so that argument is mute. I mean if that's the case then why get a chip or a new turbo. I'm not saying the car doesn't have potential the 1.8t engine has bigtime potential that's why I bought one. The vented wheel liner thing will take some work, but I agree it might help. Didn't Anthony argue it wouldn't? Plus modding your car takes some work, if you have to cut the Front Bumper who cares? You're getting better intake temps with a FM so that equals more power period. And as far as getting this Dual kit, it's easy call any dealer in Europe and you can buy the kit yourself. Other dealers aren't selling it because a FMIC is better. I did my research. I've had both setups and tested with a Prodiag, not to mention you can just feel the difference! I mean have you really looked at them, have you followed the piping on this Dual setup? It's all over the place, up down and around. Different piping and setup in the TT's and Biturbo's. And the Biturbo is meant for a Dual setup, plus the B5 S4, RS4, RS6 Sides are huge! These A4 Duals are no where near a good FMIC. Also you're pointing out one guy that had a ABD FMIC at the SB GTG that was installed incorrectly, so yeah that one may not work as well as others, but I'm sure he's going to fix that. Also pressure drop is greater with those OEM duals. Plus the radiator is getting plenty of air, my coolent temps have not changed a bit. Thank you for keeping me in your prayers! : ) Hey are you up for another dyno day?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're still debating this??

AS Dlsj5 mentioned, proof is in the numbers. The fact is, the STOCK a4 intercoolers, dual or not, are far inferior to a properly mounted FMIC. Plastic end tanks, small surface area, and poor air flow, all plague the DSMIC setups. Now, if you were speaking of rs4 intercoolers, you may have an argument, however, now you're talking greater fabrication and more money. I'll stick with my FMIC any day of the week. For those unsure, here's a more recent discussion in the performance forum about this topic.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/64534.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/64534.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: What else do you need to complement a K04 kit?