A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

what Rector Audi svc mgr told me about CP's "recall"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what Rector Audi svc mgr told me about CP's "recall"

i think i've seen this info posted before, but wanted to substantiate some more as so much misinformation - all well-meaning no doubt - gets put up on here sometimes.

i have had no failed CP's but am deathly afraid of driving my car more than 50 miles away from where i live in case of failure. which sucks after shelling out all that damn money for this car.

i was in 2 weeks ago for 10k and svc mgr said then "no date for 'recall' to happen for cars without failures, but there will be one in the future"

was in today to have the mirror switch replaced and now he says audi no longer has plans for preventive replacement of CP's. they will only be replacing CP's on cars that have had a failure. (because i have had no failures and i was pissed to hear this, i didn't bother to ask him to confirm the suppossed policy of first failure - replace the one CP, second failure - replace all)
Old 04-28-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Re: what Rector Audi svc mgr told me about CP's "recall"

I share your feelings. Pehaps the "A" in Audi ought to represent ANXIETY.

Your posting was so unnerving that I called Audi Customer Service to find out whether your dealer's report to you was accurate. I was assured that the "recall" remains the policy but that the supply of ignition coils was still not adequate for "proactive" replacement.

It would seem to me that three months of triple shifts by two suppliers should have been enough for Audi to produce sufficient ignition coils for all affected cars. Continued delay smells like a tactic to keep the recall out of the papers as Audi prepares to launch a sales campaign for new models.

I still start off any trip away from home in fear of potential failure of my car and that I am being endangered by a design or manufacturing failure. How much time is enough?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: what Rector Audi svc mgr told me about CP's "recall"

Using the 530,000 vehicle number from Autoweek.com's report on the coilpack replacement, assuming these all to be 4cyl, that means 2.12 million coilpacks needed in the US for the recall. This does not include production needed for the new cars currently being built.

Anyways, the time issue -- if they can make 1 coilpack per second, working every second 24/7, you'd get the 2.12 million units in about 1 month (24 days actually). Now, if it slowed down to 1/min, then you're looking at 4 years for the necessary amount.

I'm anxious to get my coilpacks replaced too, but I understand that it takes time to get all these parts built and delivered with the necessary instructions.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default I do know that the present coil supplier (Bremi) is making 220K+ coils per week....

second source (heard it was Bosch) is to be brought on line shortly. If Audi skims off 10% of Bremi's coils for the recall....you are in the ball park for 2 years to build replcements...OUCH!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you asked other Bay Area dealers' policy on CP replacement?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:50 PM

I am under the impression it is up to AoA, not individual dealer