A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What weight oil are you putting in your 3.0? About to do oil chg and STFA with many diff opions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Pentosin from ECS
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: AUDI AND AMSOIL

I guess my point was received, that is, since when has Audi or any major company, car or otherwise, been totally truthful. Advertising says what it wants to and we the consumer are left to our message boards to sort out the hype. I just wanted people to lighten up on the oil issue. Most people here will not keep a car beyond 5 years. Most are even leased. the real fun here is the after market discussions and help when Audi or any other manufacturer slams the door in our face or denies problems etc....
Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 AM

Castrol Syntec 5W40 - easy to find and no worries!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree it's an over-rated topic. But I do plan on keeping my car for the long haul and I'm out of..

warranty. So I just want to make sure that I'm servicing with the right oil for my engine. Looks like I've changed my position again. Seems that you can't go wrong with a 5W-40 full synthetic. So after all these interesting posts, I'm going to return my oil and go with a Castrol 5W-40 because it's easier to find.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Warranty requirements in USA make "approval" not worthwhile. "Recommended for" is commonplace.

You pretty much summed up the entire issue. There are almost no bad "synthtic" oils out there today. Just wanted everyone on this web site to relax and enjoy the fun part of the car, and not feel compelled to change oil more often than is really necessary. Besides, it is such a pain to get that belley pan off and on..what where they thinking? Everytime I go back after free service to get the missing screws i ask, can i depend on the rest of the car to stay together?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The belly pan is really my main reason for looking at synthetics. I'm getting too old to

keep climbing under this thing every other month! And I've got my wifes 1.8t! If I could skip some changes on my car, that would be great.

Have to do it myself because the dealer is too high and an inconvenience and other places always screw something up or leave off some of the bolts to the belly pan. Idiots!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil extractor pump is an awesome tool. You can easily grab the filter from above on 1.8t.

Pretty much all 4 q comes out with the extractor pump. No wrestling with the belly pan! It works in 5-10 min, without even putting a knee on the ground. With warm oil, probe goes into the dipstick tube and a few pumps later, the old oil is out. Refill with the same kind of oil and go another interval, no problem at all. Leaving the filter on is no problemo. Common in Europe where filters are taxed. My Acura oem service allows the filter to remain for 20k, OC at 10k. fwiw, oem Audi Mann filters say "1 year/30,000km" (18k miles) on them. No reason to be even that picky about filters. fwiw, I often remove and dump out my filter and re-install it for another run. (I have the option of W*M Supertech filter for $2, so I use them for 7500miles/1 oil change now)

So, if you DO want to remove and replace or dump the filter, unscrew the screws on the coolant resevior and fold it back (kinking the hoses, again no problem) The oil filter is right there. Once you DIY it you can leave it on at a normal tightness, making it even easier next time. Buy some grip-tape to slap on the filter, very easy then.

I can do both the oil extractor and top-access oil filter change blindfolded in about 15 min, max.
Have fun, the Pela 6000 oil extractor pump is an awesome $30 gift to yourself, pays for itself. jerrybleach.com has them for sale with quick service. Ask for an extra probe for $2, they do get damaged with nicks if used w/too hot oil.

A good plan from there is to get a dealer change for 6000 miles and DIY OC it for another 5000 mi for the cost of 4q of oil. fwiw, your wife's Passat will do fine on Pennzoil Platinum, it just pass the new Honda HT-06 test for turbo 2.3 RDX. 5q/$19 or as little as $3 on special. W*M has the big brother version of that, the Shell Rotella T Synth 5w-40 for under $4. I'd prefer both over Castrol Syntec 5w-40. German Syntec 0w-30 is another story. Just go 10k on it. The only other 10k oil is Mobil 1 0w-40, the last true PAO grade of Mobil 1. Extracting at 5-6k with other synths will give a better result though.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Got a link to one of these? I have one but it's a tube that's too big to fit in the dip stick spot

Where'd you get yours?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Grrr. You should just call jerrybleach.com and ask for a replacment one for Pela 6000. Mod it in...

Or just buy a new one because when I think about it....well I dunno, maybe it would work on your. At least try it with a new probe before ordering a whole pump. I think I got 2/$10 shipped.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

PS I run w/o the belly pan p

Quick Reply: What weight oil are you putting in your 3.0? About to do oil chg and STFA with many diff opions..