A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What's the difference between the different size sway bars? contd.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between the different size sway bars? contd.

To improve the suspension, should you get a rear and a front sway, or is only one necessary?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A larger diameter swaybar will be stiffer and reduce the side to side roll of the car. For the best

results, you should probably get both front and rear bars- H-Sport makes a front and rear set that are adjustable to optimize the balance of the car. I have just a rear bar right now, which helps reduce understeer, but to really tighten up the handling, a set of both bars is probably best.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:20 PM

What size should I be looking for, for agressive street driving?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Definitely check out the H-Sports. They're adjustable, so you can find a setting that suits you.

I plan to upgrade to these myself.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/description.php/II=587/CA=213/PA=7">H-Sport Sway Bars @ Pure MS</a></li></ul>
Old 12-17-2004, 03:27 PM

Default I'm running H-sports front & rear with the rear set in the stiffest position.

Nice set-up. Just make sure you use thread lock on the all the bolts when you install.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:19 PM

Default options...

When comparing diameter, you have to also take into account whether the bars are hollow (H-sport) or solid (the others) and material.

1. H-SPORT: front and rear. $372.95. It certainly does the job. The question I have is whether doing the front and rear is overkill, when doing the rear eliminates understeer. I've driven a car with the sport suspension and H-sport bars. Two bars are no substitute for upgraded springs and shocks.

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/description.php/II=587/CA=213/PA=7

2. H&amp; R: Rear only. $172.95. Actually you can now buy a front, but it is not necessary to eliminate understeer. Many of us bought it before the front was available. On the stiffest setting, it made the car perfectly neutral.

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/description.php/II=689/CA=213/PA=7

3. Neuspeed rear: $289.95. It also eliminates understeer. On the stiffest settting, you can actually make the car oversteer a little. The only downside is that Neuspeed recommends welding reinforcement brackets.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=14|AQ&amp;type=2&amp;ltype =ns_euro&amp;p_id=1174
Old 12-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Does it make a difference being FWD?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default If you grab the B6 S4 H-sport sways you get the best of both worlds...

A much thicker rear sway to neutralize handling and a thicker front sway matched to reduce overall roll. cheers! Mike
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More prone to understeer = stiffer rear end to compensate.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the thing about just doing the rear...

I have the Neuspeed rear right now (with the stock sport suspension, at the moment) and it's great for reducing understeer- in fact, it does make the car oversteer a bit, but it doesn't provide the same nailed-down, precise feeling as a fully upgraded suspension (as you point out) or two bars- I've found that with just the rear bar, the rear takes a good set, but the front tends to roll and wander a bit, making for a less precise feeling than I'd like. That's why I personally am going from just the rear bar to front and rear. I enjoy the effect of the rear bar, but it produces some slightly odd behavior that makes the nose harder to place with accuracy.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between the different size sway bars? contd.