A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Whining noise when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise when accelerating?

Hello guys. Just happened 2 days ago my 2003 A4Q 1.8t is making a whining noise when accelerating, almost sounds like a friggin supercharger. I took it to a mechanic he said it's not the turbo. (I am boosting fine, no fluttering or loss of power.) He says wait for the sound to become more prominent and we will be able to pin point it better. The noise is driving me nuts. Anybody ever come across anything like this? Belt tensioner? Alternator pulley? Does the guy have no idea what he's talking about could it be the turbo about to blow? Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. -Joe
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbos usually sound like a dentist drill. My gf's A4 once had a hissing noise, like the car was sucking in air (like a supercharger or something) when she accelerated. It turnoud out to be a hose that had cracked clean through, but it was not easy to find...I had to actually give the hose a slight twist in order to open the crack and see it. Once I found it, I saw the leak was very large - but it appeared like a normal hose visually until you opened the hole.

Changing the hose required the replacement of the stove pipe, PCV valves, boots, etc - all which broke from my going in to replace the hose. In other words, expect to replace $75-100 in brittle parts that may still work but will break when you try to move them to get what you need.

Also - check the braided hoses to the intake...these are known to go.

Finally - a stethescope may help pinpoint the noise. have someone goose the throttle a little while you listen....but be safe about this.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default hope this helps

when i bought my 2003 Audi A4 Quattro used, it had an AFE power aftermarket CAI. I had the same problem you have now and fixed it. Go in our engine bay and check every hose connection and seal going to your intake. Tighten your clamps and go under the car and make sure your intake is still even hooked on to your turbo inlet pipe.
mine used to fall off every now and then making the worst hissing sound ever! I bet you the intake fell off the turbo inlet pipe, because if you heard it in your car its a huge vacuum leak!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default :(

Thanks for the help guys I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately it is a shaft bearing going bad in the transmission.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JTpossum
Hello guys. Just happened 2 days ago my 2003 A4Q 1.8t is making a whining noise when accelerating, almost sounds like a friggin supercharger. I took it to a mechanic he said it's not the turbo. (I am boosting fine, no fluttering or loss of power.) He says wait for the sound to become more prominent and we will be able to pin point it better. The noise is driving me nuts. Anybody ever come across anything like this? Belt tensioner? Alternator pulley? Does the guy have no idea what he's talking about could it be the turbo about to blow? Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. -Joe
Hello bud did you ever found what it was? I'm currently having the same issue and my car is not turboed.. it is the alt version 2.0