A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Why was the post about the VAG deleated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why was the post about the VAG deleated?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe because Ross-tech is an advertiser and don't want the competition
Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think that's pretty much the point.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Intellectual property theft is not the same thing as "competition".
Old 01-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default Have you read this?

"Messages are typically deleted as a result of the following:

# Discussion of illegal activity, or posting links to other websites that deal with such activities

# Copyright violations"<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/tips.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/forum/tips.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Andy is right, too many people try to rip off other peoples products...

and it always seems to end up being lower quality. I am somwhat biased because Ross-Tech has been very good about helping me out.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cable basically "hacks" the Ross-Tech program that they created. It is illegal to do that.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't it supposed to be "shareware"? What about DIY cables? Is that now verbotten to discuss?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ya, I thought the DIY cable was a standard thing that anyone could do, didn't realize it was

copyright infringement. I guess I didn't realize that they had a special design. OBDII Cables are readily available everywhere and can be purchased on a lot of "LEGAL" websites. I guess the standard OBDII Cable wouldn't work with Vag-com?

BTW, I use Vector CAN/J1850 tools at work all the time, they have their security in the software, not the cable because I buy generic OBDII cables off websites to use with this software for work purposes.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahem...

I don't think the thread should have been deleted according to this.

Taken from your website:

Can I buy an Interface adapter somewhere else?

Yes. You may find vendors that are willing to sell compatible interface adapters without any software license. We have no problem with that. Once you're up and running, you can register your VAG-COM software with us for $99, but please don't expect start-up support from us if you can't get it working. We cannot provide support for 3rd party hardware. We have reports that some 3rd party Interfaces do not work correctly with some controllers. We will not provide either hardware or software support for you unless you are our customer. If you buy someone else's interface and can't get it working, contact your vendor for support! Of course if you buy one of our complete hardware/software kits, we will provide start-up support as well as free updates for at least one year from date of purchase. Compatibility of future versions of VAG-COM with 3rd party interfaces is not guaranteed. "

By the way, no one was talking about illegal hacking or doing anything to the software, it was all hardware talk, so I don't see the problem. Please explain because we have conflicting information here.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Why was the post about the VAG deleated?