A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Will Audi dealers give loaners to people who didn't buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Audi dealers give loaners to people who didn't buy

from that particular dealership?
Old 02-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

generally no, but cant hurt to ask.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I use University Park in Dallas (formerly Park Place)

and get a loaner, no problem at all. Bought my car out of state -- it's still under warranty and I've gotten splendid service. BTW, their new service waiting area is nicer than most people's houses -- 32" Sony flat screen, whole works.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:29 PM

Default In most cases no, why should they if you didn't buy from them?.......

free loaners are generally a sales tool. That's why you pay more for a car at one dealer then another. Always remember the lowest price is not always the best deal.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:49 PM

Default Why? Too increase Service Dept. profits...

Most of the time that I've seen loaner cars hyped by a car dealership (not just Audi dealers), it's by the Service Dept., with no regard to where you bought the car.

I would guess that a dealer still makes a profit even if it's free scheduled maintenance work. After all, they are required to service any Audi, so they must certainly get compensated by headquarters.

I'm in Canada, so maybe it's different up here.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:12 PM

Default The free maintance is a break even deal at best for the dealer, I know.......

I was a service manager at an Audi only dealer for 11 years. Most of the warranty work is break even, sometimes a profit but also sometimes a loss. And thats the facts Jack.
Chris
Old 02-10-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Re: The free maintance is a break even deal at best for the dealer, I know.......

Even if it's break even to the dealership as a whole, it provides enough business to pay a portion of salaries/rent etc.

I doubt that many dealerships could maintain the staffing levels and shops that they have, if they didn't have warranty business to fill the gaps between the non-warranty business.

Boasting a large service dept. never hurt any dealership's new car sales.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:22 PM

Default ????????????????????

I don't know what business you're in but I always though the idea was to make money, not just pay the bills and salaries? Otherwise whats the point? It's a job not a hobby.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:47 PM

Default Re: ????????????????????

Just noticed that you were specifically referring to the free scheduled maintenance. :-p

I had service work covered by warranty, on my mind.

Nevertheless, regardless of the business, doing work at break even (i.e. enough profit to pay the labor/rent/utilities for the task) is better than having NO business. That is to say, as long as the break-even business isn't interferring with the profitable business, it's usually not a bad thing -- keeps staff busy, leads to potential future business etc.

Guess it depends on how busy a particular Service Dept. is.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:54 PM

Default And remember that what started this thread was getting a free loaner.....

if you didn't buy the car from the dealer. In my old service department the problem was that if the service department provided the loaner it was another cost of doing business that was charged to the department making a bad situation worse. We always had more then enough work so for the most part a person who did not buy their car from us did not get a free loaner. Just the way it is. Our dealership has a VERY good reputation and part of it is because of our general policy of honesty, not always found in a new car dealer.
chris

Quick Reply: Will Audi dealers give loaners to people who didn't buy