A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Will a bad cam position sensor always throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a bad cam position sensor always throw a code?

Reason I ask is because I'm getting a random misfire (with misfire codes) under high loads and I'm running out of ideas.
I'm also running pretty high EG temperatures. I would think that would be from running lean but I'm only around 3% lambda(multi).

Replaced(in order);
fuel filter + pump
o2
maf
spark plugs(colder, gap @ 28)
coils
fuel injectors

Currently running stage1+ with a FMIC and 65K on the clock.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yes most likely. Your issue doesn't sound like your cams or engine timing for that matter is off...

Are misfires the only codes that are popping up? How does the car idle? Rough? If the timing was off the car would idle and run like complete ****. Trust me I know from experience Even if your cam sensor was bad and not throwing a code the car would still revert to the crank/engine speed sensor to calculate what it needs as a preset setting but it will not run as well... Throwing money at it just buying new parts and hoping that's it is not a good practice for diagnosing problems. It just leaves you broke. Have you run a pressure test on the boost/vac line system to see if anything is leaking? Have you done a compression check on the engine cylinders? Oil pressure check? Have you tested all the ohm or voltage readings to all the electrical harness connections? These are all basic tests you need to do... Having a Bentley manual is always handy in this situation.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Well.........

Yes the only codes I get are for multiple misfires for all of the cylinders and the random misfire code. The car idles smooth, and generally runs great, that is until I start to push it. I have no boost or vacuum leaks.
Also, some of those items that I listed were replaced because they failed, like the fuel pump.
I'm only looking at the cam sensor because I'm out of ideas. The Bentley manual actually suggests that sensor as a possible cause.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting.....

Maybe a reflash to your ecu programming is in order... Do these codes pop up with the spark plugs gapped at 32? What are your egt's looking like? I hope your water pump is still 100% functioning...
Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Interesting....(sorry a bit long)

Yes I'm beginning to lean toward the ecu as well. Some thing strange that I noticed, my car was pulling a lot of timing, after ruling out the obvious, I decided to just Lemmiwink out some timing. When I pulled up the current ecu settings (for the first time) the timing was set to 5.25 deg. being that I'm the original owner I have no idea why it was set so high. I set the timing to "0" and the car ran great for about 2 weeks. Then I started throwing lean codes from (2) boost leaks. Fixed the leaks, did some vag logs, first run was okay, on the second run, after a 20 min cool down, the EGT got to high and the ecu dumped fuel. From that point I started to watch my EGT more. I noticed that the temps can spike to 860 just merging onto the highway in 4th gear, and the car started misfiring randomly shortly after under high loads.
I replaced the timing belt and all the other goodies like the water pump about 7k ago, so I would doubt something is wrong with the pump. While I was logging I was watching temps and radiator efficiency (replaced the radiator as well when I did the timing belt)and it looked pretty good.
Also, the engine misses with the plugs at 32, that's where I had them set when the problem started.
So to summarize, I'm stumped... I guess I will be calling the stealer ;(

Thanks for the insight though....
Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd like to see some lambda and fuel trim logs at full WOT....

to see where it's at. 860deg is fine. Try the bosch FR5DTC spark plugs.