A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Will dealers change the stock tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will dealers change the stock tires?

I don't like the sport tire (summer only) or the regualr 3.0 tire (too mushy). I would prefer to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (W rated) with either the 16" or 17" wheels. Better traction and performance than the standard tire for sure and probably the same grip as the Pilot Primacy, but way longer life, way better traction, etc...of course it is more expensive, too, but I think it would be a good choice.

My question is, having never done this before but knowing lots of situations where wheels and/or tires have been changed, how do dealers normally treat this request? What do you or they do with the OEM tires? How much should one pay beyond the difference in the price of the tires?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 03-20-2002, 07:06 PM

Default If they are stock on another car with the same size and wheel, they may swap for you.

My dealer did. My A4 came with ContiSports. I hate conti's. They had a car on the lot with the same wheels, but different tires. He swapped them out in 30 minutes.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:31 PM

Default Re: If they are stock on another car with the same size and wheel, they may swap for you.

These are not stock on anything that I am aware of, especially Audi. They are higher quality than the OEM tires.

Don't people sometimes want a better or specialty tire? I know one guy who paid extra to get huge wheels and tires put on an SUV. I can only assume he didn't just pay the same price as going to the wheel and tire store and buying them separately...and throwing away the stock wheels and tires?

Marc
Old 03-20-2002, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Usually you can get the best deal through tire rack. Have them drop ship

the tires directly to the dealership ( attention whomever is going to handle the swap ).

As for the stock wheels and tires, it depends on whether the dealership parts dept has a need for them. If they already have some wheels, they may not offer very much. Sometimes it is just better to sell them here or in other Audi classifieds.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Will dealers change the stock tires?

I had this situation occur last week when I bought my 3.0. We were doing a dealer search, and had trouble locating the car I wanted with the options I wanted. We kept coming back to a vehicle they had on the lot. This car had every option, including the sport package which was not an important option for me. I did not want to have to buy a set of tires (Nebraska winter) and store and change twice a year. I simply asked if they could take a set off another vehicle. They did just that and took off $250 the price of the car. I was told at that time, I had to go with 16" wheels and tires because they did not have a 17" all season tire that would fit(but I believe it is coming soon).
Old 03-21-2002, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Usually you can get the best deal through tire rack. Have them drop ship

These are just the tires that are being swapped, so presumably the dealer has no use for them?

Marc
Old 03-21-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Will dealers change the stock tires?

That's fine, but I would want to keep the 17" wheels and put a different/better tire (that is also all season) on...so they can't swap with any other existing vehicle. If I choose the non-sport, 16", I will also put a much better tire on than the mushy H rated thing it comes with.