A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Would you be upset if.... (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you be upset if.... (kinda long)

you took your car to the dealer for service with nearly a full tank and came out with just over 3/4's? They put 43 miles on it! I dropped it off Sunday night for an appointment on Monday to have them check out a reoccuring CEL light that was coming on with fillups and was resolved with readjusting gas cap, rough idling and a few other minor things. Dealer called Monday afternoon to say that they didn't get it in, and would be keeping it overnight. Called again on Tuesday and said that they had run diagnostics and while Tech was on a "road test" the CEL came back on, so they had to do more work and it wouldn't be done until Wednesday. Wednesday noon they call to say its done and that they fixed everything.

I forgot to bring the work order to work with me, but from memory they:

1) replaced a couple vacuum hoses on engine to address rough idle...seems to be running a bit better and not shaking so violently at idle

2) replaced camshaft position sensors to address CEL...have to wait and see if it pops up again

3) R&I rear rotors and pads to address clanking noise (which I told them about the last time I was there about a month ago and failed to fix), and retightened everything...this didn't fix the noise so once again they failed to correct the problem

I'm happy with the service for 1 & 2 & vacuum/wash of car, but this is the second time they've failed to address 3. It's not a safety concern, but rather just annoying to hear the brakes rattling away at low speeds with windows down.

Do I just let it go, and wait until rear brakes need to be replaced? And is 43 miles of "road testing" reasonable for the work they've done?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Meh, in the grand scheme of things, what's 43 miles?

They probably drove it around a bit on Monday, found no problem, then drove it around for bit on Tuesday and found the problem, which caused them to replace the hoses.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Regarding rear brakes, take it back.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nah, i'd only be upset if i got that car in your sig as a loaner
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Not much, as long as long as they found it and fixed it...

Last time when I tried to call back to talk to service advisor, I left a couple of messages and never heard anything back. Then I got lazy and forgot about it for a while. My bro's girl friend had the same or very similar problem on a '03 3.0, and she said she had to drive around with someone and point it out, after which they quoted her $800 to essentially remove the brakes, apply some lube and then reinstall them. As she recalls, she was right around 50k but still under warranty and they said she'd have to pay out of pocket, as it wasn't a real mechanical problem.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Sorta related...I was close to not making it before they closed to pick the car up and when I called

to explain this and ask if they could lock the keys and leave it or if they closed exactly at 7, they said it wasn't their policy to do so, and that they closed promptly at 7 but if someone was still in line and I was late they would give me my car back.

So I got there about 6:57 and it was fine, but as they pulled up my car a dude pulls in a brand new M5. I suspect he was there to check on his Porsche, but they were definately rushing me out and closing up...but gladly remained open to help him out. Guess you get more respect when your car is 100k vs 20k...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 AM

I'd be more upset if they gave me a cat!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 43 miles is nothing if it had a re-occuring CEL. You have to drive the car to see if it comes back.

There is no other way to check. Would you prefer is it only had 6 miles and on it, and it came back on 37 miles down the road?

As far as number three I would just keep brining the car back to them until it's fixed. Simple.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What dealer? Rusnak?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Nope never heard of that one...its in VA
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh wait, you're from NoVA? I thought your name looked familiar

You're on the Midatlantic forum too, right?

HBL?

Quick Reply: Would you be upset if.... (kinda long)