A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

xenon problems.... (continued from another thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon problems.... (continued from another thread)

ok... last night i posted a thread about having problems with my xenon kit (from lltek) and later posted that i had got it working.... well i went to the grocery store this evening with no problems and when i got back in my car to head home and started it up.. no problems... then i turned on the headlights and i got a beep and my esp and abs lights stayed on steady, while my e-brake light flashed.... i turned off the lights and everything went away except for the esp light... then i turned the lights back on... and esp & abs lights back on.. and brake light flashes and beeping again.....

so i turned off the car and lights... then started it up again.. turned on the lights.. and no beeping but the esp light was still on (also i tried pressing the esp button and it didn't change anything on the display... so i drove back to the house... once i got home i turned off the car and lights and then after a few seconds started it again.. lights on.. no esp light or nothing...

an hour or two later got back in the car and same thing... beeping and lights... drove down the street, parked it, turned it off and fired it up again.... lights on, no problems..

Any ideas????? what does driving it down the street change in the electronics???

(btw.. this is a '03 1.8T that had factory halogens)
Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Man. What a PITA. I would be fed up. How about an insurance job?

Good luck seriously!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:40 PM

insurance job? im not sure i follow ya. i don't wanna new job.. just working xenons....lol.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:09 AM

Default Re: xenon problems.... (continued from another thread)

The ESP light will stay lit after the power to the ESP has been lost. F.ex. after you disconnect the battery. It stays on until you drive the car a few meters. Sounds like you messed up som wiring? Where did you connect the power to the xenons? Don't use the same +12V wire that feeds the electronics to the car. The xenons needs a blast of power a split second before firing up...
Old 11-17-2002, 04:42 AM

I put OEM Xenons in my halogen equipped A4, plug and play.. Sorry I can't help you.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default some info I found on another Board

This is some info i think might be helpfull if not please disregard it....:-)
the complete thread can be found at:

Third, the OBC Check Light warning. My kit has NOT been known to trigger this warning. There are generally two distinct ways of determining if a bulb is burned out. The first is to measure current, the second to measure resistance. There are kits out there that use a wiring harness and plug directly to the battery and use a relay to control the lights. These kits generally cause problems with the OBC check light warning. There are two reasons why. First, the typical automotive relay is rated at 88 ohms. In 12V applications, that results in only about a 140mA current draw at operation, compared to the stock bulb at 4.3A (4300mA). Remember, a dead bulb will draw zero amps. Therefore, the current sensing OBCs sometimes consider 140mA as a dead bulb because it is so far off from the expected 4300mA. Second, using ohms law we find that the resistance of a headlight bulb in the circuit is about 3 ohms (based on a 55W draw at 12.8V). Since a typical automotive relay is 88 ohms, and a dead bulb has infinite resistance, this too can trip the OBC check light warning, as 88 ohms is also very far off from the expected almost zero ohms of resistance<ul><li><a href="http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=54323">http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=54323</a</li></ul>
Old 11-17-2002, 08:11 AM

Default yeah i used the power & ground that.....

went to the originally went to the halogens to feed to input on the ballast.. the output from the ballast goes to a starter which then feeds the 12V and ground to the xenon headlamp.

also... lltek suggested that i replace the headlamp fuses with 20A fuses, so i went to the fuses and for spots 20 &amp; 21 there are no fuses in there. Do the halogens not use fuses? is this a problem that I don't have a fuse on my headlights?
Old 11-17-2002, 04:00 PM

now left headlight is out..turned headlight off &amp;back on and it worked..WTF