A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

XM or Sirius satellite? which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they still have those annoying advertisements for their other channels?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not exactly advertisements but station DJs occasionally plug other channels.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that doesn't sound too bad....I just remember that "smooth jazz" commercial coming on every 15mins

on just about every channel. Sounds like they've cleaned up their act. Good to hear. I seriously (no pun intended) might give XM another try this summer. I've been dying to put satellite radio back into the car.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:41 PM

Default I also had both. Dumped Sirius within 30 days, too many issues.

I have a Delphi Skyfi and a Kemwood deck with a Sirius tuner.

Sirius is supposed to have more bandwith, but they don't use it for music, they are reserving it to stream video w/audio. Sirius had a lot of artifacts and errors in the decode. Also, Sirius is commercial free, but they have more DJs which are annoying as hell. I'd rather listen to commercial than an annoying idiot DJ. Sirius also played the same 20 songs on 3 or 4 channels, not much in the way of deep cuts or variety.

XM has only gotten better. They've gone commercial free on the music channels and added about 11 more music channels, cut out 5 or so, and added traffic for 8 or so major cities. XM also has a family plan so you can add up to four more subscriptions at a reduced price of $6.99/month.

I'll be adding the XM Infotainment option on my new 2004 A4!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is like the radar detector question? Which is better? It's really up to you

Almost like cell phone service, there is not one cell phone carrier that fits the needs of every person. So there is not "best" sat radio carrier.

My first suggestion is, Sat radio is the shiznit, no matter which carrier you go with. You will not know how you ever went without it.

Second, there are a lot of haters on this board who will just bash the carrier the don't have. Some without ever being a customer or having any firsthand knowledge to bash.

I don't have XM, and do have three Sirius subs. My buddy that I carpool with has XM in his Escalade so we both get a change to listen to both services. I can't really say anything bad about either one. From what I understand Sirius has a little more house/dance music selection than XM.

Honestly, they are probably both about the same. I went with Sirius originally when they came out (about a year after XM) because I did not want to pay a sub to listen to commercials. The extra $3 did not bother me. XM has not followed suit, so???

They both now have local traffic and weather information for major cities around the country (This is being challenged right now, up at the FCC so we'll see what happens).

Unfortunately you can't listen to XM online streaming or you could get a handle on if you like the music selection. I suggest you sample some of the online streaming at Sirius.com and see what you think.

No magic bullet, you need to make the decision.