A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are your headlights xenons or just relatively bright?

looks good either way.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:09 PM

Default I understand the point your making...

I don't have all the answers and I have no problem admitting that...I do know that MTM is TUV approved and their software works amazingly well with even the worst fuel in the US. This is from the JHM website:
"MTM A4 ECM software modifications are available. With the modification, you will see 195 reliable and honest horsepower and 230 lb/ft torque! Designed with U.S. emissions and gasoline quality in mind and compatible with all dealer diagnostic tools."

Furthermore, I recognize the difference between TUV and Audi. But Audi as a company does approve of <i>certain</i> modifications. For example, Audi offers a sport exhaust made by Remus.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default whoa... you need to clarify your statement here. You are arguing two different things here.

1) An aftermarket part cannot void your entire warranty. Whether it be a chip, an exhaust system, an aftermarket wheel, or even a valve stem cover.

2) However, if you put aftermarket parts on your car, everything that can be affected downstream from that system is no longer covered under warranty.

If your programmed chipped causes a problem with the car, your ECU is no longer covered under warranty because you MODIFIED it.

God forbid something happen to your turbos due to a aftermarket chip program, don't expect Audi to warranty your turbo. Although you will probably hear about different experiences on the board about people getting their turbos covered under warranty after they have blown, every case is different. Some chipped people have gotten their dealership to cover them under warranty, most have not.

If you want to play, be prepared to pay.

<B>chelskiSW6</B>: another bit of free advice. Don't believe everything you read about on the internet. Take everything with a bit of grain of salt. I'm sure A4Jared is offering you some advice based on things that he's read and experiences that he's heard about. But when if something breaks on your car, its ultimately going to be up to you to get it fixed. Just because he says a TUV chip doesn't void the warranty, if a problem does occur do you think he's going to pay for any repairs that are necessary? I doubt it.
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So which is it?

"If you blow your turbo from running too much boost, your warranty isn't going to save you."

But that additional boost would have come from my supposedly TUV-approved MTM or Oettinger chip right? So what do I have to worry about? &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

Why would I care what my dealer thinks if my chip was within the bounds of my warranty? Screw 'em. It's their job to fix it.

Hedge your arguments much?

I see your sig says that you plan on putting in a Dahlback Stage II in the future. And TJM says on their site that it's TUV approved (again, not that that means squat here). Why don't you also call them and Hoppen (importers of MTM here) and ask them if they provide written guarantees that their products will keep the original Audi warranty intact? Or call AoA directly?

I got some cash here -- want a piece of it?

They are Xenon
Old 12-25-2004, 06:22 PM

Default assuming a NonTUV approved chip ;)

Also, what do you mean by this: "Why would I care what my dealer thinks if my chip was within the bounds of my warranty? Screw 'em. It's their job to fix it."

I recognize that TUV rating doesn't mean anything in America, but supposedly installing TUV approved products means something to AoA?

I'll make sure to post about MY personal experience with the Audi dealership and AoA, once I get the Dahlback Stage II installed

PS: What chip do you have?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you have to be careful the way you are stating your case.

You are right, a warranty cannot be denied due to an aftermarket part.

HOWEVER, it is within the dealership's interest to be cautious of aftermarket parts. A dealership is an independent business separate than Audi of America. When warranty work is done on a car, the dealership fronts the work done and then bills AoA. If AoA decides to deny the warranty work and does not pay the bill, guess who left footing the bill? The dealership. You think they are gonna be happy about that?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Very true...

The Audi dealer I go to for service has been VERY helpful with sorting out my cars issues when I had REVO software. Through my conversation with the techs at the dealership, I learned what you just said. Thats why they hate people who lie about mods.

One of the techs told me that they spent a few days trying to figure out why one car was rattling. They figured out that the rattling was caused by an aftermarket exhaust hitting the driveshaft. There's no reason that an Audi dealership should have to deal with something like that IMHO. I would feel bad having my mods cost the dealership so much time and money...
Old 12-25-2004, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What I meant is

in response to your original advice to chelskiSW6. Allow me to paraphrase:

- He asked which chips will not void his warranty

- You replied "any TUV approved chip" and his "warranty cannot be voided if [he gets] TUV approved

- This indicates that there is something specific about TUV chips that retains the full Audi warranty (even though they are no longer "TUV approved" if they've been modified in the US, for US cars)

- But yet you say that I would need to be honest with my dealer if I am chipped so as to not anger him

- To which I responded "why should I care?" If what you say is true about TUV chips being fully within bounds of my warranty, I have done nothing wrong and my dealer should not be angered.

I was merely pointing out the holes in your arguments. lawong is correct and is consistent with what I said in my earlier post about Moss-Magnuson. Point is, chips are against AoA policy, even if they were TUV approved in their native country. Are they better than GIAC, APR or Neuspeed? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends. But there is NOTHING about them with respect to your AoA warranty that is any different than GIAC, APR or Neuspeed.

And your point about Remus exhausts? They should fall under warranty... why? Because Audi of America sells them. Big difference.

Which chip do I have? I don't. I'm still under warranty. I've thought about it, and might do it later -- at which time I will choose the one that best suits my needs.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

US spec code for MTM is written by MTM.

Quick Reply: Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??