A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is MTM Stage III also ok with AoA?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Ok, here's the thing.

I'm not 100% on the facts. I've never had my warranty voided or called AoA. I'm just relaying the information that my buddy with MTM software told to me about AoA and his MTM software. I don't know, myself, how MTM is still TUV approved when they're "designed with US fuel quality and emissions in mind." Again, I'm just relaying information. I think in European countries if you buy a MTM tuned A4, then you go to MTM for engine service and Audi for nonengine related service. I admit that I don't really know and that I'm not 100% on this particular fact. Maybe I misread the article about MTM (and the rs6-sorry can't find which mag) but I was under the impression that you could buy an MTM tuned car directly from Audi. Thats why I was saying that Audi wouldn't care about MTM software. But that is in Europe not in US....

In conclusion, anything can void the warranty if its proven to cause problems.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:59 PM

Ahh, I assumed JHM modded the S/W, my bad. Thanks for clearing that up Mike!
Old 12-25-2004, 06:59 PM

I'll be damned if Audi won't let me double the output of my little 1.8T
Old 12-25-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Thanks for clearing that up...

Also, it turns out that I was under a huge misconception about the meaning of TUV
Old 12-25-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cool. Didn't really mean to bust your chops, but you can see how a little misinformation snowballs.

Looks above... now zemun2 is asking if an MTM chip is OK with AoA based on your declaration. Who else now?

In summary, in the US, NO aftermarket chip is approved by Audi. TUV or not. They are all treated the same. It doesn't mean squat here. Now are the German tuners' products "better" than the US-based ones? Maybe. Maybe not. But that's irrelevant to the discussion here.

In summary, any aftermarket item not sold by Audi can have the portion of the warranty related to that item and any other parts of the car related to or affected by that item voided. Although the burden of proof is on them, in reality it's on you. Why? Because they will say "no dice" and send you on your way. Now you're stuck proving your case.

I'm sure you meant well. And I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. In truth, chelskiSW6 wouldn't have gotten very far before he found out anyway -- so no harm done here. But it's easy to believe a lot of stuff on the internet (even my ramblings) and a lot of people have been unpleasantly surprised by it.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Hey

No harm done. I'm the type of person who doesn't open his mouth unless they know what they're talking about. Apparently, I was under a huge misconception about the meaning of TUV. I thought I knew what I was talking about because I was relaying information that I had come to understand from various sources. But it turns out they were wrong, thus making me wrong and look like a n00b This is the first time anyones ever challenged anything I've posted. I hope I handled myself well...

Through your arguments (and my own inconsistent arguments), I was able to realize that what I had previously understood about TUV was incorrect.

You weren't coming across harsh at all, maybe a little sarcastic but thats all good.

PS: I think Zemun was being sarcastic.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :-)

FYI, the MTM and O.CT chips are pretty aggressive and really only supported by a few tuners here.

While you or your friends may have had some spotty luck with the other brands, they are the most popular in the US because of price and support. And they can be a bit tamer.

I wouldn't chip without also doing the other little things (exhaust, other plumbing, etc.) to help make sure the turbo doesn't grenade from the additional stress.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Aggressive??

Why's that. From the butt dyno riding in my buddy's MTM chipped car, it felt basically exactly the same (in terms of power delivery and smoothness) as stock, just felt like it was more powerful.

My REVO software felt much more aggressive (when it worked right). IIRC, VAG showed it was spiking at 20-22 PSI.

Of course I'm going by butt dyno, and we all know how unreliable the butt dyno is

About chipping in general. It seems that nowadays chipping doesn't seem worth it unless you're going a Stage II setup. What do you think?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, aggressive is relative, right?

Just in terms of their mappings, etc. Again you should definitely compare everyone's offerings against each other and as you learned, talk to people in your area to see what works for them.

But yeah, the German guys are known for pushing a bit. In contrast, APR used to offer both S and X versions, and Neuspeed was/is on the conservative side. Did you mention you're in Calif? Factor in 91 craptane.

Everyone's "stage" is defined differently... but I would tend to agree. As I wrote, a chip by itself, especially an "aggressive" one could go outside the lines, if you know what I mean. Protect that turbo -- plumbing, DV, etc. If that's Stage 1+ or Stage 2, so be it. Everything should work together...

Quick Reply: Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??