A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Jo2
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They can still tell with an ecu flash, and its better to go with a physical chip if you want to sell

the chip sometime down the road.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

J, doesn't matter. AoA does not care if its approved or not approved. They won't honor the warranty.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TUV....be prepared to pay an arm and a leg though.

REVO, APR 1+, are just as good. You don't hear reviews of bad things happenning to cars with TUV approved chips because there aren't enough of them here in the US...cars I mean.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Make sure your covered first before you start tuning the engine.

Nothing is full proof. Your best bet is to first drive your car for atleast 5000 miles if brand new, to fix any possible gremlins. Then consider working on a relationship with your Service Advisor and Technician to find out how tuner friendly they are. Then think about tuning upgrades.

You should consider dropping by your closest tuner shops (always) and consider how long they've been in business and consult here in the Regional forums to know more. Think about potential warranty issues that may arise too out of your chip.

There are several for you to consider; APR, Dahlback, GIAC, MTM, and REVO. Any time you touch the ECU, AoA will void the warranty for the repair that arose because of it. TuV or non-TuV approved...besides that's only German approved. Not in North America.

Good luck, do enough research!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Also, physical chip is much easier for trouble shooting.

When I had REVO I got an SPS and would put it in "stock" mode for trips to the dealer. The techs said my car was boosting .1-.25 bar too high .

Its much easier to have a physical chip that can actually be removed rather than relying on the strength of a program switching device.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Sorry for the false info I provided about TUV. Like I said I was under a huge misconception about it

but I still can give you very valuable advice from my endless hours spent here researching ways to make our cars better.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:14 AM

Default And we both drive tiptronic A4s! We're clearly just the same person....

::runs to ask parents about a cloned brother::
Old 12-26-2004, 11:02 AM

Boost varies even on stock A4
Old 12-26-2004, 11:06 AM

Default True, but I assume that the tech replaced my ECU on the same day so that there would be

no changing variables such as temperature. I don't think he would of replaced the ECU without making sure that my car was running at a boost level that was abornormally significantly above stock levels.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Jared, you're smarter than that...

Where are you getting this info? Back it up with some solid proof. European tuners are not putting out more power than the American tuners. They are not more reliable. Also there are hundreds, if not thousands of more people running APR, GIAC, Revo and NS, compared to a handful running, MTM, OCT, Dahlback and Sportec. The odds of possible problems are much greater with the US, just be the shear number of customers.

As far as performance, I've yet to see higher numbers from any of the European tuners. TUV does not mean a thing in the US, notta,AoA could care less. Wait until you actually run the software before you back it up. : )

Any date on when the Dahlback is going in?

Quick Reply: Xmas money is here :) Time to mod.... what should i get??