A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

**Audi Sport Valve Stem Covers BUYER BEWARE!!!...**

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Audi Sport Valve Stem Covers BUYER BEWARE!!!...**

So supposedly when I purchased the Audi Sport Kit (license plate frame, stem covers, keychain) from my local Audi dealership only about 5 months ago...no one informed me that the valve covers are not to be placed on Audi's with Tire Pressure monitoring systems... I was problem free UNTIL today when my local tire sale and service shop attempted swapping my Dunlop winter sport tires back over to my summer tires..and they discovered that the stem covers had "seized" / "corroded" to the valve stems for good. Therefore the tires cannot be swapped without breaking off all four stems and destroying each of the sensors in my wheels. Now..maybe this situation is only caused by the harsh winters and extreme climate changes of wonderful New England where I am from?, but Audi claims that it could happen to anyone that lives in a relatively "wet" climate. Audi also mentioned that I am only the 2nd victim of this unfortunate circumstance and that they have only seen this happen to one other Audi in all of N.E. But heres the best part, Audi claims that although the stem covers are an Audi part through the dealership, they are still considered "aftermarket"..which means that when u add up the costs of 4 new sensors, stems, and labor for fixing a problem that never should have happened in the first place...you result in first class BULL****!!..thats over a $500 fix for a $5 "aftermarket" part on an 06' A4??...UH UH!!...I hope you all take this into consideration so that you dont have to encounter the circumstances that I did today. ANY feedback is welcome at this point, so please feel free to express your feelings about this situation. Thanks...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should be able to replace the stem without replacing the monitor.

The stem and monitor are two separate units. We sell the stems for $13ea and the monitor bolts on to the back. The monitors are also available on the aftermarket for much less than the dealer( same Beru part). Regardless the whole thing sucks.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hartmannwheels.com">http://www.hartmannwheels.com</a</li></ul>
Old 04-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Default That is what I as thinking..

And they are technically supposed to be replaced any time you swap tires anyway.

So really no extra expense.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Thanks!!!!

I just got mine. Thanks for the warning. As for AoA... they are consistently full of IT!!! Wonder if their parent company is aware of it's US arm using the "used-car-dealer's" technics on their customers (us)? It's a shame!!
Best of luck to you!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Thanks

for the anecdote...I have the tire pressure monitoring system and nearly purchased the stem covers. I sure as hell won't now.

ps...Audi charging you and not warning in advance is total BS
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That s*cks SLineCat, just think what you could have done with the extra $500 :(

BTW, your car looks awesome and I love the Italian flag emblem on the rear ... very sweet.