A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 3.2Q vs 330xi...Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll try to be objective

AWD system -- Audi
Interior quality -- Audi
Ergonomics -- Audi (despite the handbrake/armrest issue)
Motor -- BMW
Handling -- Audi**
Aesthetics/ styling -- your opinion
Fit and finish -- toss-up
Reliability -- debatable, but I'd vote Audi by a nose (but if this is truly your top priority, go Lexus instead.)
Maintenance plan -- toss-up
Residuals -- BMW
Seats -- BMW
Tires -- Audi (BMW run-flats affect ride, and are very costly to replace)

The BMW Bangle styling treatment is debatable. Personally, I initially hated it, but recently, it has been growing on me. And those styling cues are catching on throughout the industry, despite his opponents.

If you go BMW, I'd avoid the I-Drive. If you want to save a bit of cash, consider the B7 2.0TQ as a viable alternative, and lose some of the glitzier options such as Nav (which isn't all that necessary if you know your way around or can read a map), and you could trim thousands off of the price.

**EDIT: I've changed my answer, but I'll clarify -- if comparing Quattro to BMWix, as you are, I'd give the nod to the Audi. But if comparing either Quattro or FWD A4's to a RWD BMW, I'd favor the BMW.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have a 2.0 T in Chicago -- never had a single issue with cold start...

touch wood, I have never heard the car crank more than thrice on the first turn of the ignition key all winter....
Old 03-04-2006, 04:05 PM

There are TSB's for cold starting issues -- some may be affected, others not
Old 03-04-2006, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Read this article:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&amp;article_id=3280">http ://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&amp;article_id=3280</a</li></ul>
Old 03-04-2006, 07:43 PM

Good article, but to clarify, that matches 2.0TQ vs. 325ix, not 3.2Q vs. 330ix
Old 03-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Great article, Nirad. Thanks!

It is too bad that the comparison was between the 4-cylinders, and not the 6's. I still think the article says a lot, though. Pretty impressive performance by Audi. Kind of sad to see how poorly the Volvo fared. I guess the Big 3 screwed up another good European marque. Would have been interesting, also, to see how the Ford-Jaguar X fared relative to the Ford-Volvo. LOL! Anyway, I guess my final decision will be based on test drives. That's assuming that the local BMW dealer actually has a 330xi available to drive! Last time around, they didn't. They just told me they had three coming in in a few weeks, and if I wanted to give them a deposit I could have the second pick of the three. Call me old fashioned or spoiled or whatever you want, but I don't buy a car that I can't drive first. Thanks to everyone for your responses! Lots of good info. I'll let y'all know what I finally decide.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fixed the kinks? If you live in the cold weather (CT) your A4 will not start.

Never had a problem with coldstart in the winters of Scandinavia...touch wood! I am very satisfied with the car.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Though I always put looks of a car lower than performance on the scale of things

In that case, go with a Subaru WRX. You get all three: performance, all wheel drive and uglyness!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Default E46 M3

My good friend has an E46 M3.

It's rattly, has a cheesy interior and the SMG just plain sucks. Plus the dash is like 4 different colors.

The throttle is jerky in sport mode, and the passenger side window does not go down as far as the drivers side (A "quirk" of all E46 according to the dealer).

It handles very well, but it's definitely not anything gteat in fit/finish/quality.

It feels cheap and the interior looks cheap.
The gray matte facing all over the place reminds me of the Ford Explorer Sport-Trac interior.

I was all exited to hear about the car when he got it, and it turned out to be a huge let down when I finally drove and rode in it.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I'm in the same boat

I'm on my second Audi as well (A4 '02 3.0Q MT6), my first having been a '96 2.8Q MT5. Although unlike your '99, my '96 had plenty of issues. Not so, however, with my '02. But I have owned it since Nov. 2001, and I'm itching for something new.

I'm not crazy about buying an '06 A4, mainly because I see it as just a facelift of the B6s. I know, it's got a new engine, and suspension tweaks, but the interior is almost identical. If I equip an '06 the way I want it equipped, we're lookin' at 42k big ones. For that price, I want an all-new car.

Last night I went to an auto show and sat in a BMW 325xi. Although I did not drive the car, I found the build quality to be equal with Audi's. And the front seats, with their adjustable thigh support, were much better than Audi's. The gas mileage was also better. However, if I buy a BMW, I would want a 330xi, which obviously is more costly. But with the 50,000 mi./4-year all-inclusive warranty, I wouldn't have to worry about maintenance costs.

As far as the Bimmer's looks go, it is a matter of one's own taste. Personally, I like it. A really edgy, techno, in-your-face look.

I've grown to like the grille of the new A4, but as I said before, the rest of the car is too similar to the B6.

My options? I will probably wait until the B8s come out. But even if I can order one in the summer of '07, I will still have to buy a new set of tires for my B6 within the next six months.

Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: A4 3.2Q vs 330xi...Opinions?