A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Anyone go from BMW 325i to A4 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from BMW 325i to A4 2.0T?

I have a 2002 325i and have been considering trading for a new A4 2.0T Quattro. I love the looks of the A4 (both interior and exterior). I'm not quite sure about going to a 4 cyl.

The 325i has been a good car. I get bored with a car after 4 or 5 years.

Anyone make a similar move? Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well.....close, How about a 330i?

I have a B7 Quattro, I just sold a BMW 330i about 2 months ago, and I've driven a friend's C350 as recently as 3 weeks ago.

In order of handling:
BMW
Audi
Mercedes.

BMW has a perfectly balanced road-feel and VERY true feedback from the wheels to the driver. Also, it is rear-wheel drive, which allows you to get out of trouble by pointing the car in the direction you want to go and slamming on the gas.
Audi, out of every other car I test-drove when I was looking (Lexus IS350, Infiniti G35, MazdaSpeed 6, etc.) has the closest road-feel to the BMW. I would say 90-95% identical in my opinion. The difference is that the Audi is a little more touchy at the steering wheel. The best way I can explain it is 2 inches to the left with the wheel and the BMW turns 2 feet to the left. 2 inches to the left on the Audi and the car will turn 2 1/2 feet. Hope you understood that.....
As for the Mercedes, it's a clean road-feel. Just not as responsive from the road to the driver as the Audi and BMW. More of a floating feel than a driving feel.

As far as reliability, the list would be the same. However - from what I've read recently, the BMW's are experiencing quite a few aches and pains with malfunctions and problems with the i-Drive system.
Meanwhile, Audi is consistently improving it's reliability and Mercedes is hit or miss, depending on which model you choose.

All will be fairly expensive to repair if they are out of warranty, but I've heard that the repair bill on a MB can get down right ugly if there's a major problem.

So, let's remove the Benz from conversation.

If I had to build the perfect car, it would look like this:

Engine: BMW inline6 mixed with Audi's Turbo. Mmmmm. Tasty.
Interior: Audi styling. Audi seats. BMW Computer.
Transmission: BMW by a nose.
Handling: Basically a tie.
Exterior: Depends on your taste and which body style you like.
I like BMW's previous styling better than the new body style, but I like Audi's newer body style better than the previous model.
All are nice, though.....
Price: Audi. No contest.
Gas Mileage: Audi, by a nose.
"Mod-ability": Audi wins again.

You can't go wrong with either car. You have to get in them, drive them, and see which one speaks to you.
Match that against what your needs are for the car and what your budget looks like, and pull the trigger.
You will be quite happy with both.
I can tell you that I miss the low-end torque of the BMW, but now that I've had the boost of a turbo - it would be mighty hard to go back.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 PM

have you chipped your 2.0T yet?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, the car was way underpowered until I added the chip.....

Huge difference. I had it done a few weeks after I got the car and beg ANYONE that gets an A4 to chip it. For $600 or so, you get a BRAND NEW car. The difference is that extreme.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Yes, the car was way underpowered until I added the chip.....

OK, dumb question but what about the warranty when you chip it?

BTW, thanks for your earlier response to my post. I agree with your assessment of BMW's styling. I hate what they did to the interior and the fact that you have no other option now but run-flat tires. There are many complaints on the net about the Bridgestone run-flats in particular.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Chip voids warranty in some cases (not dealer installed)

.....but you can also use lockout programs.
Search the forums for more info on the subject.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM

Default My friend is doing exactly that . . .

. . . going from his BMW 330ci to a brand new B7 A4 2.0T Quattro S-line, 6MT, in Lava Grey.

Question: Should he go for APR remap? And how much torque & BHP would he expect?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have u also considered the new 328i?

I would say that unless u need AWD, go with the 328i (BMW x-drive is crap compared to quattro). But the BMW will be much quicker and if u get the sports package u get awesome seats. It may be a little more $ but not more than 2k plus u get full maintenence. the 2.0 is a great motor for a 4 banger but it lacks the smoothness of a bmw inline six. If bmw had not bumped up their engines for MY07 i would say go with the audi but now the base 3 series is just as fast as the audi 3.2. If i was in the market for a 35k sedan right now the bmw would be on top of the a4 on my list. of course, just my opinion
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Have u also considered the new 328i?

Good suggestion. I've thought about it. Same interior (which I don't like) and the run-flats. Also, haven't seen any pricing yet. I've heard they will be $1500 (or so) higher than the 325i. So, it's pushing $40K for a decently equipped 328i. Also, I could probably get an 2006 2.0T A4 for a great price (while they last). There are a few left here in the D.C. area.

P.S. What do you think about chipping the A4? I can't imagine wanting to void my warranty.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm not too big on chipping cars

The thoguht has crossed my mind but from dyno's i have seen the results dont look too drastic. Expecially if it is going to void your warrenty (i'm not sure if it does or not). And yes u r right there is a price increase slightly over the 325i but a decently equipped 2.0T is around 40k. i know mine was 39k and it is decently equipped (no bose or s-line). I'm sure u can find a healthy discount on an MY06 A4 though. If you are planning on leasing i know BMW is running a deal right now on their website on the 328i coupe if that interests you. anyways good luck with your decision keep us posted on what you decide!

Quick Reply: Anyone go from BMW 325i to A4 2.0T?