A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 B7: How to Replace Air Filter
Print Wikipost

APR stage 1 tunning

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR stage 1 tunning

i was wondering if anyone had gotten their computer chip upgraded to stage 1?

if so...what are the negatives and positives on the stage one upgrade?

i heard that it was the easiest way to upgrade horsepower and torque without going crazy on engine mods?

how does it affect the gas milage?
i heard that it went down 1 mpg but then i heard it was dramatically worse...

help me understand what is true and what is false...

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ECu upgrade is a great inexpensive mod to get as long as you do the diverter valve as a premenatative measure. I had the APR stg1 on my 2007 GTI DSG and it was great fun. I also had my previous TDI chipped with Upsolute. The economy went up a couple MPG. On my GTI I saw no real difference at all to be honest. And the GTI is considerably lighter than an A4.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Upgrade during APRs spring sale a couple of months ago. It's a good deal because you get 3 maps and then some. I took stock, 91, and 93. I noticed no decrease in gas mileage even when having fun with all of the new TORQUE now and again. I started running it in the 91 setting and then changed it to 93 and there is a noticable difference. Keep in mind the highest octance I put in is 92. I haven't had any engine knock or anyting like that probably because of the mild weather in western WA, but I'll probably put it back to 91 when it gets warm. The torque is awesome, do it!

On a side note, I noticed improved gas mileage (~1-2 mpg) when I added 12mm and 15mm (FR and RR respectively) wheel spacers to my 43mm offset stock 5-spoke s-line wheels.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdelbigs
On a side note, I noticed improved gas mileage (~1-2 mpg) when I added 12mm and 15mm (FR and RR respectively) wheel spacers to my 43mm offset stock 5-spoke s-line wheels.
jdelbigs, are you saying this improved gas mileage (~1-2 mpg) is due solely to adding the spacers? Could you kindly explain to the Old Dog how this is possible just adding spacers . Or, maybe the better gas mileage is really due to your stage 1?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
jdelbigs, are you saying this improved gas mileage (~1-2 mpg) is due solely to adding the spacers? Could you kindly explain to the Old Dog how this is possible just adding spacers . Or, maybe the better gas mileage is really due to your stage 1?

Thanks
I'm heading out to buy some 45mm Front and 50mm rear right now! I'll save a fortune in gas ;-)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fidget
I'm heading out to buy some 45mm Front and 50mm rear right now! I'll save a fortune in gas ;-)
LOL
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog

Thanks
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It goes against intuition and everything the aero guys told me they needed when I worked in the auto industry. However, I always watch my mileage and paid special attention after the Stage 1 and the spacers thinking they'd both send the gas mileage in the toilet. However, I did the stage 1 in mid April and the mileage remained the same through 4 tanks, and then I added the spacers in mid May and on my next trip to work I noticed the trip computer instant mpg up 1-2mpg, and it held true over the next 3 tanks. Prior to spacers I was getting ~25.5 and now ~26.8 (I try to always go to the same pump and use the mileage/gal method, because the trip computer is always high). I do remember someone else mentioning similar results. Anyone else do a similar mod and have similar results?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only possible way spacers could increase gas mileage is by reducing the drag coefficient of the car in its entirety. By moving the wheels outwards the drag coefficient COULD change. But, i highly doubt it. Ahh, i just thought of something. By adding spacers to the car you are giving it a wider stance. And....a wider stance gives you better handling capabilities. Maybe you are handling turns better and the car isn't "slowing down" as much during them. This would cause you to have to speed up less after coming out of the turn. Now this i could see affecting the gas mileage. Do you do a lot of highway driving?? This is the only situation where my theory seems plausible.

To answer jincho3:

Get the stage I tune. It's worth every dollar. I'm 99.9% sure you'll see no negative affects from it; as I didn't. Even with all the power mods i have now, i still don't see a big change in gas mileage. The only time you'll see a change is when you really GET ON IT becasue you're having so much fun with the new power/torque.