A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Audi A/S4 vs. BMW 3/5 Series vs. Subaru LGT Spec B

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A/S4 vs. BMW 3/5 Series vs. Subaru LGT Spec B

Hey guys,

I'm moving up to Boston for grad school in the fall, and want to do some research on the various car options that I have. The budget I have is in the range of 20-30k. I know it's a large range, but want to keep my options open.

The two absolute requirements I have are: manual trans and navigation (I'm completely new to the city and the surrouding areas). I think AWD is required too for the winters, but would be interested to hear your thoughts if you live in the north.

I've narrowed my options down to the following cars (no SUVs):

05-07 Audi A4 / S4 Quattro - price difference b/t the two is small (2-3k @ about the same mileage) and I would love the sound of a V8. MPG on the S4 is horrible from what I understand, but I won't be driving much so it's not a big factor...

06-07 BMW 328xi / 330xi / 530xi - 335 is too expensive, and even the 328/330s will be in the higher 20k range. Most expensive of the choices.

07-08 Subaru LGT Spec B - cheapest option with the lowest mileage. Probably the fastest with the exception of the S4.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1 - Fun factor - Given these are all AWDs, can someone with experience tell me how they differ in this department? I feel that if AWD were not a requirement, the BMW (RWD) will win given their suspension setups (note - I have not driven a Suburu or an S4 before).

2 - Refinement - While I would like to have some fun with the car in the non-winter seasons, the car should be a proper "grown up" car (no super harsh rides, etc.).

3 - Reliability - Most of the cars here will be covered under warranty (or I will buy one) but I hate going to dealerships to fix even minor things. Are any of the above cars very problematic?

4 - Winter performance - I intend to go skiing and traveling in Vermont, NH, etc. during the winter time, are all the cars above sufficient?

Am I missing anything? Thanks a bunch for your help.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmytooslow
Hey guys,

I'm moving up to Boston for grad school in the fall, and want to do some research on the various car options that I have. The budget I have is in the range of 20-30k. I know it's a large range, but want to keep my options open.

The two absolute requirements I have are: manual trans and navigation (I'm completely new to the city and the surrouding areas). I think AWD is required too for the winters, but would be interested to hear your thoughts if you live in the north.

I've narrowed my options down to the following cars (no SUVs):

05-07 Audi A4 / S4 Quattro - price difference b/t the two is small (2-3k @ about the same mileage) and I would love the sound of a V8. MPG on the S4 is horrible from what I understand, but I won't be driving much so it's not a big factor...

06-07 BMW 328xi / 330xi / 530xi - 335 is too expensive, and even the 328/330s will be in the higher 20k range. Most expensive of the choices.

07-08 Subaru LGT Spec B - cheapest option with the lowest mileage. Probably the fastest with the exception of the S4.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1 - Fun factor - Given these are all AWDs, can someone with experience tell me how they differ in this department? I feel that if AWD were not a requirement, the BMW (RWD) will win given their suspension setups (note - I have not driven a Suburu or an S4 before).

2 - Refinement - While I would like to have some fun with the car in the non-winter seasons, the car should be a proper "grown up" car (no super harsh rides, etc.).

3 - Reliability - Most of the cars here will be covered under warranty (or I will buy one) but I hate going to dealerships to fix even minor things. Are any of the above cars very problematic?

4 - Winter performance - I intend to go skiing and traveling in Vermont, NH, etc. during the winter time, are all the cars above sufficient?

Am I missing anything? Thanks a bunch for your help.
Well I own an Audi A4 Quattro and live just south of Boston. In the winter I have no problems. In fact on a really snowy day I pass up all the other cars stuck on the road. i even climbed up a hill at work that was a sheet of Ice. As for MPG I get 35mpg. An amazing car front and rear heated seats, sun roof, Even a skii sack that your skiis can slide into that enters in through the trunk then inside of your car. My uncle has the BMW and horrible in snow and as for the subaru, yea its nice but im not really into Boxer motors and as for the inside you dont get the Audi quallity.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You have an 05.5 correct? I THINK there are some options that you listed that were only offered with 05.5's (maybe 06's?). Like rear heated seats, ski bag, etc....
Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh, and don't make navigation a "must". It is something that can always be added on latter. Get the style/power etc.... That you want first.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tusin
You have an 05.5 correct? I THINK there are some options that you listed that were only offered with 05.5's (maybe 06's?). Like rear heated seats, ski bag, etc....

Yes I have the 05.5 Also have the Mystic grey color which is 500 bucks extra
Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

This may sound weird, but to me the answer partially depends on whether this is 'grad school' grad school or B school. If the former, I'd veer towards one of the less ostentatious choices on your list, such as the A4 or the Subaru. If it's HBS, just buy the most douche-y car you can find

Also Boston is sometimes like NYC - the roads are awful and the drivers are worse. So dont get your dream car just yet as you'll cringe at all the abuse it has to take.

PS: I don't understand how B7 S4s are in your price range yet 328s/330s are not.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tusin
Oh, and don't make navigation a "must". It is something that can always be added on latter. Get the style/power etc.... That you want first.
+1. Boston can be notoriously difficult to navigate at times, but $200-300 can always get you the best GPS navi. Or something like RNS-E can be added later for more. I prefer to drive without navigation to keep my sense of direction and local knowledge intact; my GPS is there for backup
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by A6contem
This may sound weird, but to me the answer partially depends on whether this is 'grad school' grad school or B school. If the former, I'd veer towards one of the less ostentatious choices on your list, such as the A4 or the Subaru. If it's HBS, just buy the most douche-y car you can find

Also Boston is sometimes like NYC - the roads are awful and the drivers are worse. So dont get your dream car just yet as you'll cringe at all the abuse it has to take.

PS: I don't understand how B7 S4s are in your price range yet 328s/330s are not.
Awwww... why you have to single out HBS? I don't want to be the dbag who drives the S4, but I really want one!!

Dream car is GT-R, and that's for after graduation

The 328/330s are in my price range, just on the upper end given how rare the xDrive + manual combo is. At this point though, I'm more leaning towards S4 if I want more fun / bling and LGT if more value / practicality.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

You seem nice enough -- there's no way you'll stand out as a dbag there
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by greywolf1699
My uncle has the BMW and horrible in snow
Is that RWD or X-Drive?

Quick Reply: Audi A/S4 vs. BMW 3/5 Series vs. Subaru LGT Spec B