A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

B7 A4 Coolant/Antifreeze flushing -- DIY? (more inside....)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B7 A4 Coolant/Antifreeze flushing -- DIY? (more inside....)

Was wondering if anyone here had flushed the cooling system on the B7 A4 themselves? Have never attempted this before on a syatem with an expansion tank (did it a couple of times on a radiator system). If so, can someone direct me to the procedure?

Background: Found myself stuck in the middle of no where last night (Saturday) at arnd 11 PM (in +20F temps) with the engine coolant system warning light on. Found that the system was dnagerously low on coolant/antifreeze (had it topped off just 5 months ago at my 15K miles service) and no G12 stuff with me.

The nearest and only gas station around had only the Prestone 50/50 extended life stuff (the stuff they say mixes with anything) and no distilled water. Roadside Assistance didnt offer antifreeze and suggessted I find the nearest auto-parts store (which we all know, dont carry the G12 stuff -- so some crappy advice that was!!!!).

Please dont flame me for this, but at the spur of moment, thought it might be better to go with the PRESTONE antifreeze (at below freezing temps) than regular non-distilled water (not sure which one is more harmful -- PRESTONE poison or regular non-distilled water -- given below freezing temps).

Have been searching the forums all of today to figure the effects of using the PRESTONE stuff and the vote is unanimous as I expected -- DONT USE IT AND FLUSH THE SYSTEM IF YOU HAVE!!!

Also, no where on the forums did I find an outline on flushing the B7 cooling system either -- making me wonder if this is truly DIY -- So was looking to find if the system flushing is a DIY possibility and if so, how? Would I be better off getting a shop/dealer do this?

Any advice or help will be sincerely appreciated -- thanks much...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haven't done it on a 2.0T yet, but should be similar to 1.8T.

There should be a drain on the lower drivers side of the radiator, and you can pull off the coolant hoses on the oil cooler as well. I'd run some water through there a few times until clear, also run the heater until warm.