A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

B7 A4 Timing belt chanage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B7 A4 Timing belt chanage

My manual says the belt change is recommended at 110,000 miles, but I've heard that Audi has since lowered the recommendation to 80,000 miles. Is that correct? Are there any Audi publications that document that change? I know most forum members recommend changing it well before 110,000.
I'm at 77,000.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't know about Audi formally lowering the interval. I'm at 8 yrs and 107,000 km (65,000 mi) and will change within 3 months. I'd recommend changing no later than 80,000 mi. Timing belt change will always be cheaper than replacing valves :-)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
Don't know about Audi formally lowering the interval. I'm at 8 yrs and 107,000 km (65,000 mi) and will change within 3 months. I'd recommend changing no later than 80,000 mi. Timing belt change will always be cheaper than replacing valves :-)
Copy. My dealer gave me an estimate of $175 to replace one unheated windshield washer nozzle and $1,850 to do the timing belt. I cleaned the nozzle with a pin and will be going to an independent for the belt. He guesstimated $1,000 to $1,100 for the job. I'm just delaying until I decide if I'll keep the car or trade for a new or CPO B8. I was at the dealer with cash in fist a few weeks ago but I got tired of his salesman's games and walked. You have to be careful when the only person convinced you need a new car is the guy trying o sell it to you.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The parts for the timing belt change will be between $200- $500. You can just replace the belt, or most DIY people will take the opportunity to replace all the componentry and the water pump while your in there.

This is not a difficult job if you have some mechanical ability, tools and some garage space. A kit from your prefered retailer (ECS or similar) will start with basic kits up to everything you need. Most retailers have the step by step guide included or off their web site. If you want to do it yourself, you will be taking the front off the car (it's designed to do that) so you need space to remove and put it aside, then you can access the belt, water pump etc. Without rushing, this is less than a day's work for one person following the step by step slowly, and learning on the way. Second time would be more like 3-4 hours. A second person would be handy when removing and installing the front clip just so you don't scratch it.

So check with your mechanic what is included in the $1850. Assuming he is doing the 'full package' including everything that moves and the water pump, he is charging you about $1350 labour for knowing how and a warranty!

If he is just replacing the belt, and anything else they find is extra, then it's a rip off.

I paid that sort of money on a peugeot once because I didn't have the time. After doing the A4, the A6 and a VW myself I don't consider it worthwhile to pay someone else.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John535is
The parts for the timing belt change will be between $200- $500. You can just replace the belt, or most DIY people will take the opportunity to replace all the componentry and the water pump while your in there.

This is not a difficult job if you have some mechanical ability, tools and some garage space. A kit from your prefered retailer (ECS or similar) will start with basic kits up to everything you need. Most retailers have the step by step guide included or off their web site. If you want to do it yourself, you will be taking the front off the car (it's designed to do that) so you need space to remove and put it aside, then you can access the belt, water pump etc. Without rushing, this is less than a day's work for one person following the step by step slowly, and learning on the way. Second time would be more like 3-4 hours. A second person would be handy when removing and installing the front clip just so you don't scratch it.

So check with your mechanic what is included in the $1850. Assuming he is doing the 'full package' including everything that moves and the water pump, he is charging you about $1350 labour for knowing how and a warranty!

If he is just replacing the belt, and anything else they find is extra, then it's a rip off.

I paid that sort of money on a peugeot once because I didn't have the time. After doing the A4, the A6 and a VW myself I don't consider it worthwhile to pay someone else.

Nice summary. Thanks. I'm a stumblebum when it comes to auto repairs, so I'll pay someone to do the work. Both the dealer and the independent will do the "full package" with the belt and both warranty their work.