A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Brake question

I had my 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro w/Tip in for the 25,000 service last week. As part of that service they changed the brake fluid. The first time I drove the car after that I felt the brake pedal was going way lower than ever before and was very soft. When stopped in gear I could press the brake pedal without much effort and it would slowly go right to the floor. If I pump the pedal it will firm up for the next stop or two than revert to being soft and low. I called the service department and said it seemed to me an issue of the brakes not being properly bled after changing the fluid. The service rep said if there was an issue with fluid the brake light would come on. I am not sure on that, level of fluid "yes", but I was not aware it would go on if there was air in the fluid. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am bringing the car in Thursday AM for the Service Mgr. to test drive and go from there.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not normal behavior at all..if anything the brake feel should be a little harder after a fresh fluid exchange (less moisture in the fluid). There's either a small leak in the system (one of the bleed nipples is leaking on a caliper) or there's some air in the system somewhere...tell 'em to do it again and do it properly!! ;-) You're correct in the assumption that the brake light will come on if the fluid is too low...I don't believe there is an active pressure monitor on the brake fluid..

If you're still driving it, take extra care...

Cheers,

Nick
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certainly you are doing the right thing by having the service manager take it for a spin. I had my brake fluid changed in February on my 2007 A4 and there was no such problem when I got it back. Curious, was this extra for you? Mine was extra and was about $135 CDN excl. taxes.

Look forward to hearing how things went.

Drive carefully.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, driving carefully. From his response, I believe the service guy had no idea what was meant by "bleed" the brakes. Hopefully the servcie manager will :-) The cost was included in my Aduicare package - I did not see it listed in thh required 25K service, so I was curious and made sure I did not have to pay extra.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake question

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The cost was included in my Aduicare package - I did not see it listed in thh required 25K service, so I was curious and made sure I did not have to pay extra.
Good for you Bob Funny how some things are different when it comes to US & Canadian models, manuals, etc. My maintenance manual clearly states that the brake fluid should be changed every two years regardless of mileage. I have included a couple I had handy just to show you.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They bled the brakes and...

it stops better and the pedal is back up where it has always been. However, when I picked the car up (a lock-out since I cannot get from work to the Audi shop befor they close at 5:15) there were three new chips in the rear bumper (the only ones). I have driven the car 25,000 miles and 31 months and haven't put one chip, ding, whatever in it. This is the third time my car has been "injured" while at the dealer (this one it's the first; my 06 A4 got backed into a stucco wall leaving pock marks twice). I am quite pissed. The chips are minor, my main concern is that I not be charged for them when the lease is up in September. I can probbaly fill them in and paint it myself if I can get them to give me a tube of touchup paint. I also want the Svce Mgr to put a note in my file that it happened while in their shop in case the end of lease inspector decides to charge for it. Another couple of hours off tomorrw AM to deal with this. I hate bringing my cars to dealers, that's where the damage occurs! ARRRF!!!