A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Building an RS4 alternative - Buy an S4 or a 2.0T Quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an RS4 alternative - Buy an S4 or a 2.0T Quattro?

Hi folks. My first post here, so be gentle! I am currently deciding on what car I want next. I'm coming from an MR2 Turbo via a Subaru Impreza Wagon (classic) which is my winter car. Never been a huge 4WD fan, but am quite enjoying it int he Impreza.

I'm looking for something more modern for the next car, and will be looking to spend between £7k and £12k tops. I've read in various tests that the 2.0T Quattro is lighter up front due to the smaller engine, and have wondered if it would make a better base car than the S4 for modifying it to around 360BHP and building a cut price RS4 alternative?

Or would I be better going S4? Can I fit RS4 shocks directly to either car, and/or would aftermarket shocks or coilovers be a better bet? I don't want to go too extreme and lose the "Audiness" by modding it and making the suspension too harsh, but I do want to match the RS4's handling.

Does the RS4 have any gadgets the other two don't? And can a T3 40:60 diff be fitted to the 2.0T? What year did they start fitting this diff to the S4?

Sorry for all the questions. My Audi knowledge is not up to scratch.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Sir Culation
Hi folks. My first post here, so be gentle! I am currently deciding on what car I want next. I'm coming from an MR2 Turbo via a Subaru Impreza Wagon (classic) which is my winter car. Never been a huge 4WD fan, but am quite enjoying it int he Impreza.

I'm looking for something more modern for the next car, and will be looking to spend between £7k and £12k tops. I've read in various tests that the 2.0T Quattro is lighter up front due to the smaller engine, and have wondered if it would make a better base car than the S4 for modifying it to around 360BHP and building a cut price RS4 alternative?

Or would I be better going S4? Can I fit RS4 shocks directly to either car, and/or would aftermarket shocks or coilovers be a better bet? I don't want to go too extreme and lose the "Audiness" by modding it and making the suspension too harsh, but I do want to match the RS4's handling.

Does the RS4 have any gadgets the other two don't? And can a T3 40:60 diff be fitted to the 2.0T? What year did they start fitting this diff to the S4?

Sorry for all the questions. My Audi knowledge is not up to scratch.
First off, are you looking to spend that money on just mods or including the car? if so, then an rs4 conversion would be impossible. And to get the same numbers as an RS4 (400+ bhp), you will need to make MASSIVE changes to the engine, such as rods and valves, and a big *** turbo like a GT35. Its been done but its not cheap. Oh and not to mention the body kit to make it look like an RS4.

THe 2.0T is capable of going 360-400 BHP, SAFELY, even with just a KOR turbo from RAI motorsport or a gt28 kit from APR, or even a gt30, without making significant changes to the engine. as for the suspension, better toget coilovers such as stasis ohlins or kw v3 for adjustability. And for the diff, stock quattros already have a T3 diff with a 50/50 split i beleieve. You want the T4 (stasis) or a similar diff from JHM (cheaper but does the same exact thing)to get the desired 40/60 split.

If you decide to go with the s4, that v8 will need a supercharger from pes tuning. they run up about 7-9000 USD and will give you the same or even more power than an RS4. But then youll still need the supporting mods such as intercoolers and lines. Plus the diff and the suspension. Oh and consider the fact that the s4 costs considerably more than an A4.

Personally, id go with a 2.0T conversion. THe car is lighter, better on gas, and can possibly be quicker than a S4 or RS4.But with this information, the choice is up to you!