A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Car Died in Driveway, not won't Start.!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Died in Driveway, not won't Start.!!

We drove home today in a blowing snowstorm and as soon as we got home and put the car in park, the car started shaking, then died. This was also accompanied by a burnt electronics smell that was coming from the engine bay. Since it is 14 degrees and blowing 30 mph, I have not been able to track the smell down. I did not see any check engine light before it happened. Now it turns over fine and has fuel, but I can't seem to find any spark.

Is there some way something got wet from the snow or what? It was acting fine the whole drive, then just shuddered and died when it got home.

Also, do you guys see much soot around your tailpipes? I was a little surprised at the amount of soot I am seeing around the tailpipe considering it is a gasser.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

06 2.0T
Old 01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like you have a date with service dept

Could be the alternator crapped out or dead battery.

I have plenty of soot on my tailpipes.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Sounds like you have a date with service dept

It has plenty of juice...
Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default coil packs?. or electrical short? call audi roadside and get it towed.....

yeah if its not getting spark it should throw a cel but since you died in the driveway it may of not had time to thow a cel. may also be ignition harness.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Plenty of soot. About 100 miles before the tailpipes get all sooty again...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sounds like a coil pack.

I just got my '06 A4 a few weeks ago (around Thanksgiving) and it has already had two coilpack related issues. THe first time one of the CPs was shorting to ground and the car would not start. (I had sent back my VAGCOM to RossTech to exchange for a CAN model, so I had to get the car to the dealership to diagnose the problem.) Actually they said that the shorted coilpack caused the ECU fuse to blow.

Then just last week I was out driving, car was running fine. Then on my way home it was shaking and I got a flashing CEL. Turned it off, let it rest, and tried again. The CEL was solid instead of flashing, and it ran rough, but it got me home.
The next morning I drove to the dealership. Car ran fine. But they replaced the other 3 coilpacks, and also something else on the intake side -- the intake lifter motor or something like that. Supposedly the motor had gotten stuck which caused the CP to short out, and the engine to misfire. The dealership told me that it is a fairly common repair on the 2.0T.

Aren't you glad you're still under warranty?

-- P.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See my post above...

If a coilpack shorted out the ECU fuse, as it did in my car, it would not show a CEL.

--P.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ah, then he should check the fuse then, because it can be more than the coilpack .....m.

had similiar problem in my B6, the car died in the road due to a short in the ignition harness. epc light came on and it died. no cel.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: ah, then he should check the fuse then, because it can be more than the coilpack .....m.

Well I called Audi and they are coming to pick it up this afternoon. Guess we will see what it is, glad I have warranty. Although it has upset my wife who had to drive her 140,000 mile Jetta TDI to work in the snow this morning because her 13,000 mile (2 days since we bought it) Audi was sitting broke down in the driveway. The Jetta has NEVER been on a tow truck. I just hope our Audi experience only gets better from here.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2 days huh? I've still got you beat. :-)

When this happened to my car, I had picked it up only the day before. Oh, and this was the day before Thanksgiving, and we were hosting.
So all my relative were over and asking me how I like my new car -- which was not running.
Yay.

Let's just say that I am not in a rush to sell my B5. It's at the point where maintenance is getting expensive, but it keeps running.

-- P.

Quick Reply: Car Died in Driveway, not won't Start.!!