A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Did anyone feel the Quattro working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone feel the Quattro working?

I've got my 07 A4 for a month. Recently, when I turn a sharp curve, I feel like the inner wheels have more traction and the outter wheels have less traction. It's like the Quattro distribute more power to the inner wheels. Did any one feel it this way?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Default it's your mind playing tricks on you.

seriously.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Hej
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No sir.

The outer wheels, by virtue of having a much larger portion of the vehicle weight on them, would have more traction. Pushing power to the inner wheels would just make the car understeer.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sometimes in the rain I think I feel it as the wheels struggle to maintain traction
Old 12-29-2006, 11:22 PM

with or without traction control?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Did anyone feel the Quattro working?

I don't know about quattro, but my esp works awesome. I was going down a curvy road here in nothern Italy and was being tailgated (pretty normal), I then hit an icy patch on the road, like a heavy frost or something. The rear of the car started to slide out and the esp quickly took over and straightened the car out. The car behind me didn't do so well. She spun out, did a 360 and then slammed into a dirt bank. We stopped and helped, everyone seemed fine. I'm so glad I got the Avant Quattro, if I was in my BMW 3 series I would have been in the dirt bank with the other car on top of me. Thanks Audi!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Not so much on the torsen quattro

those changes are immediate (at least to quick for me to feel any changes)...however, it's much more noticeable on non-full time AWD systems such as my brother's element (FWD biased AWD system...you can almost feel a 1/2 second hesitation as it engages)
Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends on a lot of things

What tires do you have? How hard are you pushing the car?

But really, it's the outer wheel has more traction because of the weight balance shifting when you cornering. And if you are really really pushing the car, most likely the inner wheel will spin more because it has less traction (open differential) and the EDL (electronic differential lock) will kick in and apply the brakes on the inner spinning wheel to slow it.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default yeah, but in adverse weather, not what you're describing

i've taken my old a4 through some nasty blizzards, and i'm pretty sure i felt the quattro when i was going through very heavy snow. i felt the car kinda shuddering / jitterbugging. i always assumed that the feeling was the four wheels rapidly getting/losing traction and receiving/conceding power through quattro. the car in those instances would be gradually making progress in a straight line (so it wasn't as if the car was dancing out of control or just spinning out). it was particularly noticeable on one instance when i was going up a relatively steep hill that was strewn with cars that had given up in the snow / slush and been abandoned. the 00 a4 just methodically shuddered its way pretty much straight up.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Did anyone feel the Quattro working?

It's not my mind playing tricks on me. The curvy road is like 270 degree and is a very shot distance. I went around 40 or 50 Kilometer/hour and the suggested speed is 30. When I tried to give a little bit more gas and I felt the car digging in the inner side of the curve, the two inner wheels were heavier, and the outer side wheels were lighter. I think the power distribution is from Quattro. The ESP was working as well. You can try it on a very sharp curvy road to see what you feel. Usually, the highway exit and entering ramp is such a road condition.

Quick Reply: Did anyone feel the Quattro working?