A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Digital Clock Losing Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Digital Clock Losing Time

Sometimes we need more hours in a day, but time is passing really slowly in my 2007 A4/B7 2.0TQ. Recently the digital clock is losing not minutes, but hours. And, I also just noticed the date was at 19 Feb 2005 . I had a look here on AW, but couldn’t find anything covering this problem. FYI: the battery was not disconnected at any time.

Would anyone have the time to throw some suggestions my way as to what the cause might be and any solution(s)? I just hope this isn’t a precursor to a bigger problem down the line. Any chance this may be covered under the original warranty?

Thanks

Last edited by Old Dog; 08-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have some of the extra time from mine. It runs fast by a few minutes a month.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mscav
You can have some of the extra time from mine. It runs fast by a few minutes a month.
Might just take you up on this .
Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 299 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Recently the digital clock is losing not minutes, but hours.
I would expect this to be repaired under Audi warranty; likely needs a complete instrument cluster replacement. If that's the case, I'd suggest you ask to see if you could pay the cost difference, and get a colour cluster as the replacement.

I definitely know a red cluster on the B7 can be replaced with a colour one. That was done on my 2008 B7 Avant when I complained about lack of the trip computer functions on my new wagon - it was in the original spec when I ordered but got missed during factory assembly.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
I would expect this to be repaired under Audi warranty; likely needs a complete instrument cluster replacement. If that's the case, I'd suggest you ask to see if you could pay the cost difference, and get a colour cluster as the replacement.
Thanks for the suggestion A4Audi4Fun . When you say colour cluster, do you mean a single colour cluster (if so, what colour?), or is it one of the newer types where you can choose among a variety of colours? Do you have any pics or links by chance to the one you are suggesting?

Take care,

Garry
Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 299 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Thanks for the suggestion A4Audi4Fun . When you say colour cluster, do you mean a single colour cluster (if so, what colour?), or is it one of the newer types where you can choose among a variety of colours? Do you have any pics or links by chance to the one you are suggesting?

Take care,

Garry
http://public.fotki.com/Avanteix/aud...er_inst-9.html

Use the link above to see a picture of a colour cluster for the B6/B7. The central DIS/trip computer area shows in various colours rather than always displaying in red. For Canadian B7's, this was only available as part of the RNS-E/Nav package. If Audi is going to change your cluster, it's worth the incremental cost (Red vs Colour) to get the colour version. If you go to an Audi dealer and find any B7 with Nav factory installed, it will have the colour display.