A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Do people expect you to drive fast on snow when you drive a quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default most of the time i'm at the flow of traffic

but every so often some douche in minivan decides to blow by me in the worst of conditions. go figure.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Answer-get in the right lane...then go as slow as you want, otherwise

be prepared for the WTF look. People just need to get over and out of the left lane. In Europe you would have many cars up your a** flashing their lights etc.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm usually able to drive safely faster than any SUV in snow.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If there is only one clear lane, then I just get irritated with people driving overly slow.

Mostly I just deal with it and follow, unless there is another lane that is usable for me, in which I can pass.

Only reason someone gets a dirty look from me is if they are driving stupid slow and holding up a train of traffic as a result of their ineptitude. Granted that could be a result of poor driving skill or a poorly maintained car (bad tires), either way though, I don't care. I really wish those people would just park their cars in the driveway and wait it out until the weather gets better.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM

2nd, move over
Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You have every right to drive slower in that situation ... Just do it in the right lane
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maintain a prudent balance. Driving too slowly can be as hazardous as driving too fast...

for the conditions.

Conditions would have to be pretty bad to warrant driving 35-40 in a 70 mph zone with only one lane cleared.

Next time, if you feel the need to drive that slowly then be sure to let people behind you pass, even if it means you have to pull over to do it.

You do not want someone tailgating you in slippery conditions.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Default People expect you to not drive like a vag. regardless of quattro.

Just move over to the right or pull over. If you're holding someone up you're being rude. They may more experience in the snow, better tires or just be dumb and want to drive fast.

Just move over and get over it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well if you read his post below, he was in the right most *clear* lane.

The unspoken rule changes a bit in these conditions. Traffic moves to the rightmost clear lane (which is where he was), and passing occurs in the unplowed lanes at the passer's risk (ideally to the left, but again, deeper snow in that lane has forced me to the right most lanes many times).

I'll do whatever it takes to get around traffic clumps (except slowing down evidentally), as the longer I'm in them, the more exposed I am to colliding with another car. I've been known to try passing in an unplowed lane, and when I determine I'm in over my head, file back in line and deal with the slowpokes.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default When I had my Saab with studded snows, I would intentionally drive in the unplowed lanes.

Those snow tires were awful on dry roads, but they were amazing in snow. So I tended to drive on the white stuff instead of in the plowed lanes, or in the tire tracks.

With the Audi, not so much. Wider tires and less aggressive snows are not as sticky.

-P

Quick Reply: Do people expect you to drive fast on snow when you drive a quattro?