A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car

Hi everyone,

First of all I have been a Gigantic Audi Fan since 1988 when my parents purchased an Audi 5000S. Well it has almost been 1 year since I graduated from college and after my internship finished in December, I finally found myself an entry-level software design engineering job at a respectable IT firm. Finally, at 22 years of age, the day has come that I may plan to purchase a new car and give up my old, unreliable, and slow 96' Jetta.

I know some demographics on audi buyers and it seems that I am not up to that standard. I watch everyday in college some girl/guy drive up in their nice a4/s4 and i cringe in jealousy that it was given to them while i worked my *** off for my P.O.S. Jetta. However I am making a decent amount of money, I am single, rent is cheap (I live with roommates) and do not have alot of financial obligations.

So taking that into consideration, what are my options (if any) in purchasing a new b7a4. I was thinking about the A3 but i wont in my life buy and audi without quattro. Here are my choices.

1. Finance an a4 (Can anyone give me a broad monthly payment?)
2. Primere purchase (How does this fare compared to financing and leasing. Also is there any SPECIAL college grad programs that audi offers?)
3. Purchase a Mazda 3 and wait for the b8 platform in a couple of years.

I am leaning toward the third option just to be financially safe. But if someone can convince me otherwise, please post your opinions, they all mean alot in helping me make a decision. (Do not hesitate to call me a fool or tell me its over my reach, at all.)

Thanks,
Damien
Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car (long)

It would be hard for any of us to tell you you'd be in over your head, as we don't know what you make, or what your financial obligations are, or how secure your job is, or any of that (though I'd make sure I liked my job before getting into hefty payments...).

That said, if you can wait a few months, you'll be able to get an A3 with Quattro. I just drove a FWD A3 DSG yesterday, and it was absolutely fantsastic, way quicker and sportier than my A4 1.8.
The DSG was stellar, and the OpenSky was a great feature. I wish I was was getting them in my upcoming B7 2.0.

The price difference though, between an A3 and an A4 isn't really that great. The A3 is a foot shorter (a postive, for me, at least) while actually offering more rear legroom than an A4. It's sportier and, hugely, offers the DSG transmission, hands down the coolest tranny around. The interior is very stylish in both, thought the A4 has the richer feel and soft-touch finishes you'd expect in an Audi, while the A3 does not.

I don't know when the new GTI will come out--that will save ou $, but it will be, to my knowledge FWD only.

The Mazda 3 is a great car. If you can skip the Nav, a loaded one is in the very low 20's, and that's in the SP23 edition with the brown leather seats and shiny black door trim (I've been researching this car for my g/f.) Included in that price will be Xenons, heated seats, upgraded stereo, etc...all for about 6-8k less than a similarly equipped (though nicer overall) Audi A3.

That's more than 20% difference. Only you can know if you can swing that.

Also, don't expect great deals on a the brand new A3 or the hot-selling Mazda3 either, for that matter. Audi is offering pretty decent financing though: 2.9% for 36 months, or, I think, 4.9% for 60, so you can go to their site and see what your payments would be,
Old 04-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car (long)

The Mazda 3 would have been my choice for a new econo sedan, but the viewing the guages was like peering into tunnels. Terrible. Also, to get the Nav you had to go with the sport package and 17 or 18" tires. No thanks. That said, you'll lose more on the depreciation by getting it and waiting a few years only to buy a new, and more expensive, A3. But as Nark said, only you know your $ position. I'm 37, single, have a $1,400 mortgage and make low (very low) 6 figs, so a new A4 is quite doable, *for me*.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Default You remind me of myself(more)

Got my first job and got a 2003 A4 3.0 6sp quattro. Two years later I've moved up to an '05 S4.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car

Sorry about the salary range. But i am willing to wait for the A3 with quattro. My entry level salary is between 35k and 40k.

What do u think i can do with that as far as the A3, A4 or Mazda 3. Do u think with a $500 month rent I can own an audi a3 or a4 and still be financially stable?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Default First of all: Best of luck with your new job!....

Now, considering your salary level I would highly recommend to go with something much cheaper...maybe even a used car or (and this depends on ur driving style and how many miles you make/year) - look into a lease .
Try to keep the payments under $250/month..this way in 3 years you won't spent a lot of money - and still should be able to save towards the car you REALLY WANT (A4).
By then you may even have a better job / different needs / more money to put down.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:38 PM

2nd that.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Default 3rd that

I know how it can be to graduate college and finally get your first decent paying job and you want to be able to afford certain things that you couldn't before. I didn't get my first car until after I graduated college because I had to pay for it by myself. So I understand where you are coming from.

Since I don't know the details of how you have been supporting yourself (loans, scholarships, various jobs, other forms of income, etc), I would highly recommend that you take it conservatively for the first few years. You don't really realize how much you spend yearly until a year goes by Find a car that is in the 200-300/mo range and save any extra money not only for your possible future car but also as a cushion in case you need it.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2005, 06:47 PM

Thank you Tekjunky, you made alot of sense
Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Thanks alot, and yes student loans will kill me. I am much appreciative.

Quick Reply: Hi Guys, I Got a New Job! ...Time for a car