A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

I want to drop my car a few inches!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would a set of lowering springs be ok?
or would a full set of coil overs be better?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a statis suspension on my 07 A4 and it made a world of difference. It is harsher, but its also now solid, corners, handles, and tracks better.

I put it on at about 30K and I have 50K on it now and there are no rattles, squeaks etc. The only down side is that it has shown me my brakes could be better and I want to upgrade that as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

stasis.. not statis..

http://www.stasisengineering.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin_Geek
3. Alot of them tend to introduce noise.
4. A several inch drop is too much, slammed cars don't handle well.
5. Coilovers should be corner balanced.
3. I had a lot of noise, but it was just a defective strut.
4. Agreed. It's also hard on other suspension components (control arms, etc.)
5. Wrong. Corner balancing is for serious auto-cross or track use. Not necessary for street.

Last edited by NEProwler; 04-17-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by efett
If you change the springs, definitely use a matched set of struts. Don't change just one or the other or it'll handle like crap.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NEProwler
3. I had a lot of noise, but it was just a defective strut.
4. Agreed. It's also hard on other suspension components (control arms, etc.)
5. Wrong. Corner balancing is for serious auto-cross or track use. Not necessary for street.
True, however, coilovers should be corner balanced regardless(to do it the right way, last time I checked these are Audi's and not ricer civics) and a must for auto-x.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by efett
A new set of coilovers would be great !
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

The debate between just lowering springs and doing full coil overs will forever rage on. What it boils down to is simply cost and function. Are you planning on just low and cruising? Or are you planning on Auto-Xing. If you want to just go low for looks you may consider springs. If you want to go low and plan on regular track use then you may want to consider full coil overs instead.

A good set of H&R Sport Lowering springs will drop you about 1.7 in the front and 1.6 in the rear. This leaves you with the, opinionated, perfect setup for daily driving. Not too low that pot holes target your oil pan and not too high that you look like a 4 x 4 truck! We carry H&R Sport Springs Here - Click - for 221.40.

Now for coil overs you have loads of options:

Bilstein PSS-9's, arguably the best coil over setup available for the B7 ~$1800.
FK Stainless and Standard Series, moderately priced and good for street and track setup ~$900 - ~$1300
H&R Kits - great performance, a bit pricier, but not as bouncy as FK or PSS9's ~$1150

Coil Over Kits are available here - click click
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No sure if ECS carries them but, if you want a good all around coilover I would recommend KW Variant 3s have both rebound and damping adjustments or Varient 1s if want just ride height adjustability. The Bilstein PSS-9's are great but, aren't cheap. The KW's are great setup, I know several people with KW's and they speak highly of them. I suggest steering clear of Tein's they are noisey and very harsh but, good for track use.

Personally, I would go with some good springs and struts (e.g., Koni or Bilsteins). I would go with the H&R Sport spring and to Koni's since they have adjustable damping so they can be better tuned to the H&R Sport Spring's spring rate.

Btw..I got my A4 tuned last week at ECS Tuning, they have a nice facility and very professional staff; I highly recommend them.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spoolin_Geek
No sure if ECS carries them but, if you want a good all around coilover I would recommend KW Variant 3s have both rebound and damping adjustments or Varient 1s if want just ride height adjustability. The Bilstein PSS-9's are great but, aren't cheap. The KW's are great setup, I know several people with KW's and they speak highly of them. I suggest steering clear of Tein's they are noisey and very harsh but, good for track use.

Personally, I would go with some good springs and struts (e.g., Koni or Bilsteins). I would go with the H&R Sport spring and to Koni's since they have adjustable damping so they can be better tuned to the H&R Sport Spring's spring rate.

Btw..I got my A4 tuned last week at ECS Tuning, they have a nice facility and very professional staff; I highly recommend them.
Thanks for the review, how does the extra power feel?

We have a good H&R/Bilstein combo available as you mentioned. Available here. It should give a nice lowering while maintaining a sport turn in and handling ability without shaking your teeth loose on your daily commute.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com

Quick Reply: I want to drop my car a few inches!!