A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Just went for a test drive for 2008 A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just went for a test drive for 2008 A4 2.0T

I was dropping my husband off to get his Jeep and there is an Audi dealership just down the road. I told him I was going to go for a test drive. I mean here I am basing most of my desires on looks and I never drove one.

Well let me say I wasn't disappointed. I went into the dealership and kept telling myself that I am only going to test drive. So I went to the counter and told the girl why I was there. After she announced for someone to come to the showroom, he was out like a flash. Honestly though, the sales office/desks are practically part of the showroom. So the salesman came out and I told him I just want to test drive today. He took my license and a couple other pieces of info. He gets the keys for a red A4. He drove us out of the area. It was rush hour and so he took me to a spot where I could get on the road away from all the traffic.

My first impression is thinking that it's a bit smaller then my Passat. I get situated and start driving. I hit the brakes and practical threw the poor guy through the windshield...OOPS. Ok, so I'm not used to new brakes. I'm used to my old squishy brakes.

I was listening to the engine and trying to decide if it was much louder than my 2.8 V6. Ok, yes, maybe a little, but that 2.0T takes off like I'm driving a feather. What a fun little motor. A little noise is a small price to pay for the pep of that engine. And I wasn't in sport mode and I obviously am not chipped.....YET

It rides nice and feels super solid. I am concentrating so much on not getting into an accident that I can only absorb so much, but I was pretty happy with it. The salesman was very nice and not pushy at all.

I asked him what price I am looking at for a $34-$35k car. He said at least $400/mo for a 10k 36/mo lease. I was like 'Oh?, really? Wow, that's more than I thought'...yadda yadda.

He's like yeah, you can lease a G35X or Lexus IS for less and they probably have more bells and whistles....,but you have to want an Audi. I was like huh? I took that to mean that wanting an Audi is not so much about price, but more like a cult...lol

Ok, now what....UGH
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Just went for a test drive for 2008 A4 2.0T

G35 and I250 leases cost a lot more than A4...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He asked what other cars I was looking at....

I didn't really have an answer, but I didn't want to say none. I actually have done research on a few other cars, but never checked on lease programs. All the cars are around the same price. I was simply comparing the cars themselves. Cars like BMW 3 Series, Acura TL, GSX, Lexus IS. I assume these cars are competition for the A4? All very nice cars, but I was attracted to the A4 the most. I don't really know what type of history these other cars have when it comes to reliability and repeat ownership. Except the BMW which I know has it's own following.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default from a lease perspective, it would behoove you to check out leasecompare.com

they use an independant bank that will very likely get you a better rate and payment than the dealer can get you.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'll probably catch some flack for this but............

To be perfectly honest, if someone really NEEDS to keep their monthly payment under $400, then buying or leasing ANY German near-luxury/luxury vehicle is never really in their best interest.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok, I'll check them out.

I've never applied for something like this online. I've never even had a lease. Is there anything special I should know before I apply?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you are not familiar with leasing you really should do some research.

Leasing CAN be a great option for people to get the most for their money.

It can also be a very expensive trap for those motivated exclusively by the lowest possible monthly payment exclusive of the actual terms and overall cost.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/index.html">http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Mom
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The older I get the more I realize that Mom was almost always right. ;-)
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm not afraid of the payments...

I really just want the best possible deal. I know it's out there. I just have to find it.

Quick Reply: Just went for a test drive for 2008 A4 2.0T