A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Leasing and money down

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leasing and money down

I'm getting close (within a month) of getting a car.

It's a nerve racking feeling and exciting at the same time. It all boils down to having A CAR PAYMENT AGAIN.

I know you never get as much when you trade your car as when you sell privately. But how much more is the question.

I have a few k I can put down w/o trading in my car. So, should I put money down and trade my car too ($5-6k).....Put money down ($2-3k) and try to sell my care privately.....or no money down, keep it to pay the lease for a year or so and sell my car privately?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 AM

Conventional wisdom says put as little or no money down on a lease
Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default They can run scenarios with different amounts down to see what it does to your payment.

Just ask the finance department. It may or may not make much difference. Sometimes you can get really good lease deals with no money down. With my wife's current car we just put $650 down (small down payment plus first lease payment). Trading a car in is more important on a purchase because it lets you save on sales tax.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 AM

Default answers

*Sell your car privately, bank the cash

*Put little to no money down

*Use your banked cash from the private sale to finance some lease payments during the term of the lease.

The ONLY way I would put some extra money down would be to wrestle the dealer into getting me a "below average" interest rate, which would hopefully cover the cost of putting that extra money down. Assuming of course, that you use the dealer instead on leasecompare.com or something similar.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cash down on a lease lowers your monthly payments AND reduces the amount that is financed.

Normally lease money factors are very low, which makes my point moot, but since this is a used car (poster wants a 2006 A4 2.0T), the money factor will be close to the interest rate on a loan. Therefore putting money down may be a wise choice.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Go to an Audi dealer ASAP and check out lease prices on 2008 models (before July)

There is a lease special to the end of June. Money factor is .0002 (half of one percent interest - Super cheap almost free money). Delaers need to clear inventory to make way for the B8 so they will give you a great reduction in cap cost. You very likely will lease a new 2008 for less then a used 2006. The deal is on SE (special edition) A4 only. Non SE A4 models do not qualify. Audi will also pay your first month payment as part of this deal. You also get 1 year of free SAT radio.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think the lease special is only on the CVT model....

I am told that Quattro will be slightly more, but still a good deal. What's included with a Special Edition A4?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Default No. It is 100% for sure on ANY SE model - I got a manual A4 Quattro 2.0T under this program (edit)

SE model includes S-Line Exterior, Leather, Heated seats (possible other stuff I can't remember). It will be less then $500/month with $0 down, 15k miles/year, 36months. Residual is 52% w/o Audi care and 53% with Audi care. That combined with .0002 MF makes it a very good lease. The program is over at the end of business tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What about offers for July?

I would hope the dealers would extend current or hopefully better offers into July. They wouldn't just shut the doors on special offers. Would they?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:00 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Audi decides, not the dealer.

If they have cleared sufficient inventory from dealer lots, they may discontinue. If they still need to clear more inventory, they may extend it. Hard to predict...just have the roll the dice.

Quick Reply: Leasing and money down