A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Making the Symphony Better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the Symphony Better?

I'm on the fence with the Bose upgrade. I don't want to pay the package when I don't want satellite. Would it be possible just to replace the speakers, amp, and sub with aftermarket parts without touching the head unit so I can keep the functionality on the steering wheel? I plan on having Nav+ so will any of those parts affect it? Trying to make the interior clean and stock looking as possible.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could you be more clear? What do you want and what don't you want?

Yes, it's possible to skip Bose and attach your own equipment to the Symphony. You can replace the Symphony with a Nav+ unit later. If you decide to skip satellite you'll have more options for connecting an MP3 player or iPod to your Symphony as well.

Have you tried Satellite? It's well worth the money, IMHO. And you can get your dealer to install it (even without Bose) for about $400.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Could you be more clear? What do you want and what don't you want?

I plan on getting Nav+ but not Bose, if I can replace the stock speakers, stock amp, and stock subwoofer without having to change the Nav+ Headunit. Or is it more difficult than that and I would have to change much more? I have a friend with satellite and it's okay but doesn't it only give 3 month of service free? I also read somewhere that the 2006 come prewired for satellite and it only cost $250 for dealer install.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Could you be more clear? What do you want and what don't you want?

Yes, you should be able to get the Nav+ or Symphony with or without Bose. Either will work with or without satellite, and with or without your own amps and speakers.

If you're going to replace all the audio gear, then Bose would certainly be a waste of money.

When I recommended satellite, I meant you should get the subscription, too -- not just the radio. Most people who have the radio find it worthwhile to subscribe.

2006 cars are all prewired for satellite. The radios are about $350, and if your dealer won't put it in for free you can do it yourself in about ten minutes.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Making the Symphony Better?

the Audi symphony head unit will be to blame for the bad sound, without changing the head unit speakers and whatever wont make that much differnce (except a sub). The headunit is part of the nav, kinda making it hard to replace (but doable).
But the nav can have a sat. add on
Old 12-10-2005, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Making the Symphony Better?

Do you already own the car - or are you buying one?

If you are buying one, just get all the upgraded factory stuff up front (satellite/nav/bose/etc). You will never be able to make anything aftermarket look and integrate as well.

As far as mp3's, the nav+ unit has dual SD card slots built-in.

For real... The highlest level of Audi sound has nav+, sat, 2 SD card slots, 6-disk changer in the glove box (where you can reach it), and it sounds killer. It would be hard to put an aftermarket system in the car that would sound better IN THE CAR. If you are playing your music for everyone at the intersection to hear than go aftermarket.

As far as satellite, I have had Sirius for over two years and cant imagine life without it.