A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Multiple child seats in the back....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple child seats in the back....

Has anyone simultaneously used 3 child seats in the back of an A4?

If so, what is your experience with it?

I am trying to fit 2 Recaro and 1 Even Flo child seats in the back. My wife and I are not very tall so we don't have problems with the back of the front seats interfering with the child seats.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Elder Member

Default Not sure that's possible.

No experience doing that combo, but with two Graco booster seats, no way to fit a third child seat in the middle in ours.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

99% sure this is not going to happen. Child seats are WIDE.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default it's possible, but I don't believe with your combo of seats.

We had a Graco Safe Ride Infant, Britax Marathon and Radian 65. It was tight, but they fit. The key is that the Radian65 is a very narrow seat. You should be able to fit 3 forward facing radians in most cars (I've seen pictures of 3 Radians across the back of a Chevy Cavalier)
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Multiple child seats in the back....

With proper fitment into car, not an option....middle seat becomes just a void between them. Experts would tell you that the seats should not touch each other and that the tight space in between could be dangerous in many ways. I researched thsi a bit because I use the middle seat for one Recaro (and some vehemently oppose this setup)...but I have a second on the way and will need to incorporate a rear-facer, as well.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "Experts would tell you that the seats should not touch each other". Could you cite your sources?

No CPS Tech I've spoken to or whose comments on 3 across that I've read have made mention about ensuring that the seats not touch each other. Their primary concern is that the installation is tight and that the kids can be fastened properly.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default FWIW, my wife the almost-tech says...

"Seats can touch as long as each seat is in there tightly (less than 1 inch of movement at the beltpath MAX), without the other seats in there. The belted or latched seat should be installed first, to be sure it's actually in there tightly, and not just seeming tight because it's wedged in with the other 2."

She adds: "I'm assuming the recaros are boosters, since the convertible Recaros are just barely hitting the market, so the Evenflo (convertible? Infant? who knows) is likely the only seat that is actually installed in the car. The boosters are just belted in with the passenger."
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is a point of view you may not have considered...

I imagine trying to get three kids into their seats, properly buckled, while it rains like crazy would be exceptionally tough with three seats. I am 5 foot 4 inches (yea, damn short) and with my seat comfortably set, there is not much room to reach across to a middle kiddie seat in the back, and even less room between the front seats to access a middle seat.

While it may be physically possible to get three back there, it will be tough to live with that setup. I would hate to compromise safety where anyone's kids are involved.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bottom line, don't waste your time trying. Time for a Q7.

I had an A4 Avant loaner and with two Britax Marathon seats in the back there was only about 8-10" left between them. Even if you did find three that fit it's not safe and really hard to maneuver a kid into the middle and buckle.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have both a Q7 and Avant. The problem is the Marathons. They're very big and bulky

They're very nice seats (our favorite for ease of installation and use) but you would not even be able to get 3 across in a Q7 with Marathons.

Quick Reply: Multiple child seats in the back....